Chapter 10: Jerk

I spotted Victor the moment I parked my motorbike outside of the paddock. The man had his hands on his hips as he rounded on Barry. Catching glimpse of me over Victor's shoulder, Barry raised his eyebrows in relief. 

"Stacey!"

I jogged over to them, painfully aware of how enthusiastic Victor had seemed to be. "Stacey," he greeted as well. I huffed and approached him. 

"Don't touch the raptors, Victor."

"Who says I'm using the raptors?" Victor smirked delinquently. Taken back, I frowned and peered at Barry, who seemed equally confused as well. "I'm glad you've found me on your own, Stacey, because we need to talk about you T-Rex."

I stared at the man before me. His smirked widened when he saw that he had caught me off guard. "No," Barry cut in sternly and neared Victor. He threw constant peeks at me in an attempt to warn me. I needed to pull myself together. "This is not happening. You need to leave."

"What is wrong with you two?" Victor exasperated and threw his hands up. "There is a dinosaur out on the loose. It's dangerous, fast, and unpredictable. You're willing to let it kill more innocents before you can finally agree to my plan? I thought you cared about the dinosaurs."

I scowled and crossed my arms to hide my balled fists. "How is that supposed to mean? Of course, we cared about the dinosaurs."

The walkie talkie on my waist belt cackled. Momentary silence fell upon the three of us when Owen's voice spoke up, "Stacey, can you hear me?"

I pulled the walkie talkie off my belt and held it near my mouth immediately. "Yes, I'm here. Everything alright?" 

A pause. "I think we're onto something. The kids have gone through the restricted area. Claire and I are going after them." 

Claire spoke up. To my unsettlement, Claire's voice was hoarse and tight, like she had been trying to stop herself from crying. "Stacey, I'm so sorry-"

"It's not the time to apologise, Claire," Owen remarked as gently as possible, "We're wasting time here. The thing is dangerous, Stacey. Be careful. It's killing for sports."

I stared at the buzzing device in my hand. Owen's voice came alas to finish his message, "I will see you soon."

Then they were off. I blinked, knowing full well what Owen was trying to say. He was making a promise. He would return and be safe. I shouldn't worry. 

But of course I was terribly worried. This Indominius Rex was dangerous, and whatever the pair had witnessed, it had left Claire shaken. Victor was the first one to speak up, "See? The rex is killing. Not just the people. It's killing the dinosaurs as well."

I levelled gaze with the man. Barry scowled and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Don't, Stacey," he muttered. 

"What are you suggesting?" I growled. A part of me was surprised to hear myself asking Victor for his plan. The man nodded approvingly and straightened up. 

"We let the T-Rex out, and we let him hunt." Victor finished with a clap of his hands, as if it was just magic trick and could be done with just a snap of his fingers. I shook my head at him, a cold smile playing at my lips.

"You don't know anything about dinosaurs, do you?" Victor's face fell instantly. I took the opportunity to continue, "T-Rexes don't hunt. They're scavengers. Go home and put your nose in a book before coming back here, would you?"

His face turned a shade redder while Barry grinned. But the moment of victory was destroyed when someone spoke up from both Barry's and my walkie talkie. "Escort all visitors to indoor immediately. The Pteranodons are out!"

Barry's eyes fell on me instantly. Panics hid behind his glints as he tried to ask me what our next moves were wordlessly. "We will use the damn raptors then!" Victor snapped and gestured towards the paddock. "The InGen can take the lead-"

Swinging my fist back, I punched the man right across his jaw. My knuckles screamed in pain but I ignored it. "Shut the hell up," I hissed and shove past him. Barry stared with his mouth open for a heartbeat behind catching up with me. "Get the equipments. We're going into the main site."

I peeked at my knuckles and found them plastered with raw redness. "That feels good?" Barry questioned under his breath. Shrugging, I took the lead to turn into the back room. I grabbed a long gun while Barry picked up his as well. 

I tried to stay oblivious to the glaring Victor by the time we had mounted onto our vehicles. Barry's question still hung in my mind, and I knew full well that the punch wasn't a matter of wining the argument or whatever. I was pissed and wasn't thinking straight. Owen would have stopped me. Barry probably hadn't thought through what my reckless action would have caused.

I just hoped I wouldn't regret punching Victor any time soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just realised how things have escalated quickly since it's not written from Owen's point of view. But Stacey is going to bump into Owen in the theme park's main site. I hope you guys have enjoyed this chapter:)

-Rivers