Chapter 12: Moment of Peace

I couldn't believe we were actually going to do this. Slapping the car door shut behind me, I placed my hands on my hips and scowled as Victor approached us. Owen eventually joined me by my side, his arms crossed as we waited for the reckless man to join us.

Behind us, I could feel Claire's burning stare on us. She was anxious, but there was nothing else she could do to help us. The boys watched the adults sneakily from the back of the truck, their pale faces were drenched with sweat and dirt.

"The plan is on," Victor announced coldly as he set foot before us. Owen set his jaw, a pulsing vein visible on his neck. I shook my head but Victor cut in once more, "There are too many casualties." The man's eyes narrowed on us, as if he was challenging us to argue the blinding truth. I bit my lips and balled my hands into fists.

"Fine."

I snapped my attention back to Owen, who had just spit out the most dreadful word by far. His eyes darted to me before focusing on Victor again, who was now wearing a smug smile. "But no one hurts my raptors."

"Of course." With that, Victor nodded towards the block and gestured for us to follow him. I gaped at Owen as the two of us stormed behind Victor.

"What the hell?" I whispered furiously. Men were hurrying around us, some carrying weapons while some shouting orders at each other. The sky was falling darker, and the air thin. Owen's eyes were hard ahead as he pulled himself from daring thoughts.

"This is a critical situation, Stacey," Owen finally flickered his gaze to me. "I have no choice. Hopefully, he's not going to push any further. Even if he does, I will not let him lay a hand on Rexy."

We watched each other for a solemn second. There was no denying that Owen was risking his raptors but he was right, we were desperate and unless we had better options, this was our only opportunity to keep everybody safe on the island.

We went through the plan carefully. Owen, Victor's team, and I situated around a table as Barry laid out a map of the island. The men drew dots and drew lines. My eyes followed but my mind wondered. 

What if this failed? What if the raptors were killed? 

I peeked at Owen, who was frowning with immensity of the discussion. He was placing a big bet on the table that no trainer would ever like. 

But what if I allowed Rexy to be used in the plan? I stared at the map before hand and ignored Victor's men's constant peers. It wasn't hard to guess what was on their mind. A short girl like me, wounded with a bandaged back and torn shirt, as helpless as I could seem to be, did not fit into the room. But I lifted my chin up none the less and stayed. 

Hopefully the raptors would work, I thought and nodded to myself. The discussion was over in ten minutes' time, and I left with the men with a wan plan forming in my head.

We all climbed onto a motorbike individually. I tried the accelerator and was glad to hear a strong engineer roaring at my command. From the truck, Claire hopped off from the driver seat and located me quickly. "Stacey!"

I watched as the woman jogged towards me. How she ran in them heels, I had not the slightest clue. "Are you going with them?" Claire widened her eyes at me and grabbed my arm nervously. "It's too dangerous, Stacey. Please-"

No shit, I thought but my heart ached for how worried Claire had looked. "I know the risks," I said quietly and placed my hand on top of hers. Besides us, Owen pretended he wasn't listening. "But they need as much help as possible, and I'm one of the few experienced trainers here. I have a responsible, Claire."

I knew I got her there. The red haired woman pulled me in for a tight hug and pecked my cheek. Her breaths were short and unsteady as she leaned back. "Be careful," she whispered and attempted a smile. "I will see you soon."

I nodded and returned the smile. Reluctantly, she stumbled back towards the truck. I waved when I caught glimpse of the boys at the back of the vehicle. I wished them all the best. They were sweet boys, and I loved them even more for their reactions when I told them I was a T-Rex trainer.

"If anything happens," Owen's voice snapped me back to reality at once. I blinked and saw everybody completing their final checks. Tentatively, I turned to Owen. "I want you to go back to the resort and leave with the others as soon as the first ship arrives." I locked gaze with Owen and something clicked within me. His words were easily taken in, and instantly, I shook my head. "Please, I can't let anything happen to you-"

His voice trailed off as he watched me mount off my bike and reach out for him. His eyes were grave with anguish as he glanced up at me. "I'm not going to leave you here, Owen," I spoke softly and to my silent amusement, I completely blocked away people that were around us. For a brief moment, there were just the two of us. How I wished that could be true. 

Lightly, I ran a hand over his chin and along his jawline. Owen fluttered his eyes close and leaned into my touch. "Stacey..." he whispered but I hushed him once more.

"It's my choice, Owen. I'm not leaving you."

When we locked gaze again, I could see that he understand, and he had no more reason to try convincing me to leave with the others anymore. 

After another lingering moment, I let my hands drop and walked back to my bike. Turning his accelerator, Owen glanced at me once more as I mounted my vehicle. "Ready?" he questioned. The two of us were leading the whole team, while Barry was just joining us.

Lifting the corner of my lips, I rolled my eyes at him and he chuckled. "Let's go then," he announced and together, we sped towards the edge of the wood, where our target awaited us.