Chapter 7: How The Disaster Begins

My name left Claire's lips as soon as she was close enough. Then, she stepped into the lights and saw my company. Her voice trailed off.

I flushed and smiled painfully, "Hey Claire." I wasn't sure how I felt about Claire finding out my new friends. It didn't help at all when I recalled her history with Owen. Peeking at the men around me, I caught the expression of astonishment on Owen's face, while Barry merely looked confused and curious.

Claire's lips twisted indecisively as she attempted to come up with words. "Owen," Als, she settled on my neighbour's name.

"Claire," Owen replied with new interest and amusement. Hastily, Claire tore her attention from Owen to Barry, whom she nodded to curtly.

"Do you need me for something?" I asked abruptly, easing the awkward silence in the atmosphere. Finally, as if she had just recalled her purpose in visiting my bungalow at nine in the evening, Claire made a noise and focused on me again.

"Stacey, I need you to come with me to Paddock Twelve with me."

Blinking, I abandoned my napkin and placed it on my plate. "But it's way past my working hour, Claire."

"Please, Stacey," Claire pleaded. Although she tried to keep a solemn expression on, her words were entwined with urgency and almost a hint of childish manner when a kid was trying to get what he wanted.

Sighing, I stood from the bench and joined Claire. "I will see you guys later," I said almost disappointedly, giving the men a little wave. Barry was still glancing between Claire and I when Owen smiled warmly.

Once we were out of hearing range, I caught up with Claire and lowered my voice, "What's wrong?"

The woman's eyes darted to me rapidly before looking ahead. "We've got a new dinosaur, but there's something different about it. I can tell."

"A new dinosaur?" I repeated while opening the door to the passenger seat. I took my seat and buckled up swiftly. "I didn't hear about this."

"It's supposed to be a new attraction," Claire explained, starting the engine and her vehicle growled in the dark. "They wanted something bigger, more dangerous and with more teeth."

This conversation was not turning down the path that I wanted it to. Goosebumps crawled along my skin as I swallowed. "That doesn't sound very appealing. What about Rexy?"

Surely, Claire was talking about Rexy. A T-Rex was at the top of the food chain, what more could they have asked for? Claire had her eyes set on the road ahead, hard. The car's headlights continued to show us the road that zoomed past underneath us. "We have designed something new. We invested heavily in this and the outcome is exactly what we need."

"Exactly what you need?" I repeated, my throat was closing up with nerves. Claire made a noise and rephrased her answer.

"Well, more than what we need. That's why I need you to have a look. This is classified, okay? I'm not supposed to take you within the paddock. But it just makes sense to me, since you're the trainer of our T-Rex."

Claire's words were rushing out of her mouth. I inhaled quietly and placed a hand on her arm. "Calm down, Claire."

Nodding gratefully, as if I had just reminded her to breath, she heaved a sigh and went on, "I've showed Masrani our new hybrid. He likes it, but I swear there's something odd that's going on within the paddock. He wants me to ask Owen about the security of the place but I think you would be a better choice."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Being the trainer to Rexy is not the only reason you're picking me instead of Owen, is it?"

She flushed, "You've heard about it?"