Drabble 47, Lambcuddles (JackxKatherine)

"Hey, Jack, I was talking to a gal in the office today, and she told me about this art school-"

Jack shook his head so hard his cap nearly flew off. "Ace, you know damn well I can't afford that."

"But if we-"

"No, Ace."

"What about if you used-"

"Katherine-"

"Jack Kelly, you let me finish a sentence!"

Jack fell silent, which earned him a deceivingly sweet smile and a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you. I was saying, what if you used my father's money? I'm sure we could argue that if he wants you to illustrate his paper, he should want you to be the best artist possible."

Jack took his hat off and ran a hand through his unruly hair. Katherine had to resist the urge to shove him down onto the sofa and go find a comb.

"I dunno," he said finally, "Somethin' about this don't sit right."

"Why?" Katherine couldn't imagine what the problem was- clearly he liked art, here was an opportunity to get better at it!

"I don't want anything to do with your father's money," Jack finally burst out. "What'll the boys say?"

"Is that all?" she laughed, lacing her fingers through Jack's and guiding him to sit beside her on the love seat. "No one has to know. We'll say you got in on a scholarship, for what you drew for the Children's Crusade."

Jack pondered this for a moment before breaking into his wide grin. "For sure?"

"For sure," she replied, matching his smile. "What happens in my apartment stays in my apartment."

"In that case, Miss Plumber, get yourself over here," Jack said softly, cupping her face gently and leaning across the space between them.

And if they woke up the next morning tangled up in Katherine's bed, foreheads touching and only partly dressed... Well, no one had to know that either.