Lamcuddles Angst (tumblr request do not murder me okay thanks)

It had been exactly two years today since Jack had died. Katherine went up the steps to her new, tiny apartment, brushing lint off her black skirt, and silently turned the key in the door.

She'd just come back from the cemetery, and she was worn out.
She'd check in with the boys and the Jacobs house soon, to make sure they were all okay, but for now she just wanted to snuggle up in one of his shirts and cry her eyes out.

Katherine opened the door and stopped short. There was a man standing in the middle of her living room. He look painfully familiar, but Katherine shook her head firmly, telling herself to be sensible. She'd just been thinking about Jack, of course the first man she saw would look like him.

"Um... Hello? Can I help you? Why are you in my apartment?"

The man turned and Katherine's eyes widened.

It was Jack.

Same mop of unruly hair, the same twinkle in his eyes, the same rumpled button-up shirt and toned arms. The artist's hands and cap pulled low over his face.

"Hey, Ace," he called softly. "Long time no see."

"No," she gasped, shaking her head. "No, no, no, no. This isn't real. Your brain is tricking you, Kath, he isn't real. Jack died. Jack died two years ago, your heart is just torturing you."

He moved closer. "Ace, listen. Listen. You're half-right. I'm dead- been dead for two years- but I am really here. I couldn't... I couldn't properly die, I guess. I couldn't move on. Somethin' wouldn't let me. So I went back to our old place and stayed there, hoping you'd come back, until some sweet old couple moved in."

Katherine looked at him in shock. "I moved out. Too many memories. I was trying to heal."

"I know," he murmured softly. "I just managed to spot you today and I followed you back. I realized where you were goin' and beat you back."

"Why now? Jack, I've been missing you for two years. I needed you then... Why now?"

"I couldn't find you, and then... It took me a while to get up the guts to face ya. Baby, I still love you so much... Oh, Kath, please don't cry...."

Katherine hadn't even realized she was crying until Jack pointed it out, but then she felt her heart twinge painfully and became conscious of the tears pouring down her face.

"I... I'm sorry. It's just- you've been gone, and I missed you s-so much. Nobody else could ever be you, and I would've given anything to have you b-back!" Katherine was full-out sobbing now, and even Jack looked a little teary.

"Ace, baby, I'm so sorry, but I'm going to be here now if I can. I dunno how this whole ghost thing works, but I'm sure as hell gonna stick around a bit."

Katherine reached out for Jack out of habit and he took her hand in his. It was cool and not-quite-flesh, but if she kept her touch light, it almost felt like Jack was just cold instead of dead. But if she pushed a little harder, her hand sunk into his just slightly, their skins overlapping with Jack's non-corporeal form.

Restraint breaking, Jack pulled her into his arms as they both collapsed into tears, murmuring apologies and endearments with gentle touches.

"So... You're back? For good?"

Jack smiled gently. "I dunno, Ace, I ain't never been a ghost before. I'm still figuring out exactly what I can and can't do. But as long as you'll have me, I'll be around."

Katherine stood on tiptoe gently and kissed his cheek. "I never believed in ghosts," she admitted.

"Me either," Jack sighed, "But remember how I said I'd never abandon you?"

She nodded. Jack had fought valiantly to erase her father's view of him from her mind with these kinds of whispered late-night promises.

"I wasn't lying," he grinned cheekily.
"Not even death stops Jack Kelly keeping his word to his girl."

Katherine sat down on the love seat, head spinning. Jack curled up beside her and laid his head on her chest.

"Jack, what're you-"

"Heartbeat," he explained. "I like listening to it. I needed some reminder that... That you didn't end up like me. That you've still got your life to live."

Katherine felt fresh tears make their way down her face as he shifted and pulled her to his chest.

"I love you, Ace."

"I love you too, Kelly. Stay this time around?"

"Yeah. Let's hope I'm not as much of a screwup as a ghost."

Katherine laughed through her tears. "No helping that, Kelly. You're a lost cause," she giggled, tipping her face up and kissing him lightly for the first time in two years. "But at least you're not quite as lost anymore."

"Ain't lost at all," he mumbled, burying his face in her hair, and Katherine could feel his tears now instead of just hers. "I'm home."