Drabble 38 (SpecsxRace)

"You fainted...straight into my arms. You know, if you wanted my attention you didn't have to go to such extremes."
~•~•~•~•~•~•~

It was an absolutely sweltering day in the middle of July, and Specs was miserable. Jack was adamant that they still sold the usual number of papers, but it was too damn hot.

Tugging at his collar uncomfortably, Specs walked down the broad street, looking for any sliver of shade to stand in. When he finally found a brick wall under a ramshackle overhang, he gratefully collapsed onto it, feeling as if he was suffocating under the thick heat of the day.

Just as he lazily contemplated getting back up, he heard a familiar voice coming up the street.

"Extra, extra! Horrible accident at the Sheepshead Races, ya heard it here first!"

There was a clink of coins being exchanged, and then Jack came into his line of vision, smiling cheekily.

"I don't remember the races makin' the headline," Specs grinned, looking at Jack with an eyebrow raised.

"Page two, couple paragraphs long. Nothin' much. More interesting than politicians yakkin' about God knows what." Jack tossed a water bottle at him. "Here. You look slightly melted."

Specs gave a slight grin. "I feel a little melted. You been givin' everyone water?"

"All but Race," came the amiable reply. "Couldn't find him." Jack tossed a second bottle at him, which Specs fumbled for a second before he set it down on the wall. "Give it to him if you see him? I know the two of ya walk home together."

Specs felt a flush creep up his face that had nothing to do with the heat. "Yeah, of course. Thanks Jack."

"I take care of my boys." Jack strolled away, giving Specs nothing but a backwards wave.

Taking to the streets again, Specs let his mind wander to Race as he went looking for him.

Racetrack Higgins. Specs couldn't deny the fact that he was attracted to Race... And not just a little bit. Race, behind being sarcastic and witty and a bit of a smartass with a passion for nice cigars, was one of the greatest people Specs had ever met. He was always nice to Specs and understanding of his small quirks.

Race bringing back library discard books every week for Specs to read, everything from adventure to science textbooks to romance novels (though he had been way too amused by that.)

Race agreeing to meet him by Medda's theater everyday to walk home together.

Race protecting him from the Delancey brothers when they were smaller, keeping his glasses from getting broken.

Race making absolutely sure Specs was okay if he woke up from a bad dream before he'd go back to sleep... And even then he was never far.

Specs was snapped out of his daydreams when a familiar, much dreamt-about voice hollered at him from across the street. He looked up with a start to see Race himself bounding across the road to join him.

"Holy mother of God it's hot today," the other boy sighed. "I'm bakin' out here."

Specs nodded. "Summer stinks, but at least it ain't snowing." He handed over the water bottle.

Race took the water happily and drank half of it in one go. "I think I just fell in love with you," he teased, but Specs heart leapt into his throat.

"Th-thank Jack, not me. He said he couldn't find ya?" He hadn't meant for that to come out so hesitantly and like he meant it as a question.

Was the heat frying his brain? Must be. He felt sick to his stomach and overheated all over. God, he wished the lodging house could afford some ceiling fans.

He vaguely understood that Race was talking, but couldn't make out any words. He felt himself sway gently before pitching sideways toward the sweet voice while everything went black.

~•~•~•~•~•~•

Where was he, and who the hell was stroking his hair?

Specs opened his eyes slowly and looked up, only to be met by Race's relieved expression.

"Good, you're awake. Had me worried for a second there, and I think Jacky just went a little gray at the temples from freaking out."

"What happened?" Specs' voice sounded funny, event on his own ears. Now that his head was on a little straighter, he realized everything was very fuzzy. "And where are my glasses?"

Race grinned. "You fainted... Straight into my arms. Ya know, if you wanted my attention, you didn't have to go to such extremes."

"I wasn't... I mean, I didn't mean to... Get your attention, um... Like this.... Or a-at all-" Race cut him off by clapping a hand over his mouth.

He chuckled when a light flush stole up Spec's face again. "And here's your glasses, you blind bat."

"Bats aren't actually blind, they-"

"Save the biology lesson, Specs, I got a more important science question for ya."

Specs perked up a little, recovering from the combined wilt of heat and embarassment. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. What do you know about chemistry?"

Specs opened his mouth to answer enthusiastically, but soon found his mouth preoccupied with kissing a certain fair haired newsboy.

And even though it was too hot outside to be in contact with another person...

Well. If one had managed to get Racetrack Higgins's attention (even if it was by accidental extremes), one did not waste it because of something as simple as the summer heat.

A/N: This was kinda crap I'm sorry.