Chapter Ten: Evidence

We rushed back to the lab with the evidence we found. Neither Steve nor I could believe what we found. They were in the middle of talking about some Phase 2 plan, which is what I assume has something to do with the gun Steve and I found. I felt sick to my stomach, I couldn't possibly understand why SHIELD would be trying to hide something like this from anyone, unless it was truly something bad.

As we are walking Tony is in the  middle of asking what Phase 2 is.

"Phase 2 is SHIELD uses the cube to make weapons."

Tony gives a both look, "sorry the computer was moving a little slow."

Fury gave a look my way and all I could do was shrug. I wasn't on his side on this one.

"Rogers, Smith, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're..." Nick says, trying to explain his side of the story. Or spit out more lies. 

"I'm sorry Nick," Tony interrupts him as he shows the computer screen with future plans for the weapons, "what were you lying?"

"I was wrong director the world hasn't changed a bit," Steve said, his tone accusing. 

"Why didn't you say anything to me?" I asked Fury angrily.

Then before I could respond Natasha and Thor both walk in together. 

"Did you know about this?"  Bruce asked Natasha, his tone starting to concern me. This was no time for the other guy to show. 

"Did you Natasha?" I asked hoping in my heart she didn't, even though she very well could have. I forgot all about trying to calm Bruce, I wanted to know if she knew about all of this. 

She ignored me completely and turned toward Bruce, "you wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, doctor?"

"I was in Calcutta, I was pretty well removed," he shot back, blaming her for putting him into this mess. 

"Loki's manipulating you," Natasha answered calmly, as if she were expecting this from him. 

"And you've been doing what exactly?" Bruce replied. 

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you," Natasha said, her own tone now short and clipped. 

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction," Bruce said finally.

"We'd all like to know what's going on here," I said looking at both Fury and Natasha. I knew my eyes were filled with accusations, the two of them were both in on this. I could completely see it on their faces. I was the one on the outs. 

"Because of him," Fury said simply, pointing a finger at Thor.

"Me?" he asked confused.

"Last year Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we alone but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned," Fury explained, using his hands to talk. 

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet," Thor reasoned.

"But you're not the only people out there are you? And, you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, they can't be controlled."

"Like you controlled the cube?" Steve countered.

"Yeah what is that all about Fury?" I asked him. I was tired of these merry go round answers. I want real ones.

"You're work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is the signal to all realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war."