Chapter Seventeen: Is This The End?

Steve, Thor, and I are all fighting side by side with one another. As Thor and Steve throw their shield and hammer, I use the Chitauri weapon I stole against them. It really is pretty easy to use, I may not take out as many as them but I am doing my best with what I have.

I watch as Steve gets hit with an energy blast and falls down. Hard. Thor swings his hammer and knocks out a few of the aliens. When I turned my attention to go get Steve I was knocked on my back by one of the Chitauri. I watched from the ground as Thor's hammer came by and knocked it miles away. I breathed a sigh of relief after being saved twice in a 20 minute period.

Thor helps Steve and I up. Both of us out of breath. Steve raises his shield up and I snatch the weapon I had off of the ground. Steve comes beside me and gives me a quick hug, both making sure the other is okay.

"You two ready for another bout?"  Thor asks.

"What? You gettin' sleepy?" Steve asks sarcastically.

I let out a small laugh. Don't ask me how I can even laugh at a moment like this, but this whole situation is crazy. I have to have a couple laughs to get through it.

"I can close it! Can anybody hear me? I can shut the portal down!" I hear Natasha's voice crackle through the earpiece.

"Nat are you okay?" I asked back, glad to finally hear from her. 

"It doesn't matter, I can close the portal," she replied quickly, not wasting any time. We had to close the portal before it was too late. 

"Do it!" Steve said through the earpiece.

"No wait!" we all hear Tony say.

I gave Steve a look, "what is he thinking?"

Steve quickly reacts, "Stark, these things are still coming!"

"I got a nuke coming in, it's gonna blow in less than a minute. And I know just where to put it," Tony tells us.

I look up and can see him flying through the air, going straight towards the portal.

"Stark are you crazy?" I asked through the earpiece. I could tell what he was thinking. I searched into his mind, seeing exactly what his plans were. "You don't need to do this Tony." 

"Are you gonna miss me Agent Smith?" he asked me, the sarcasm falling flat in this serious moment. 

"Stark, you know that's a one way trip?" Steve said to him.

He didn't say anything else, and all we could do was watch helplessly as he flew himself to his death. It would be everyone else's saving grace.

We all watch as the aliens around us completely fall over. Did he actually do it? I watched the hole to see if he was going to make it through. No matter how many times he got on my nerves I would never wish for this to happen.

I find Steve's hand and grasp onto it tightly. He squeezes mine in return. I see a supernova coming towards all of us. Thor nods to Steve signaling it was time.

"Close it," Steve says through the earpiece to Natasha.

The portal instantly starts to close. I turn towards Steve and bury my face in his chest. I wish this would have never happened. Tony didn't deserve to die.

"Son of a gun!" Steve says out of nowhere.

"What is-" I start but am quickly interrupted as I look up and see a small figure falling from the sky.

"He's not slowing down," Thor says, swinging the hammer about to take off to grab Tony.

Instead we watch as the Hulk snags Iron Man out of the sky and crashes into a building, sliding down it.

We all three run towards where they landed. Thor rips the helmet off of his face. He isn't moving at all.

"What if he's dead?" I say, fear lingering in my voice.

The hulk then lets out a yell. I almost fall over in surprise.

Tony shoots awake, "What the hell? What just happened? Please tell me Smith didn't kiss me!"

"In your dreams Stark," I said sarcastically, smiling in spite of it all. I could feel relief wash over me as I knew my teammate was going to be okay. 

Steve and Thor both let out a laugh.

"Well we won," Steve said, letting us all know Tony's trip to space wasn't for nothing.

"Alright. Hey, alright. Good job guys. Let's just not come in tomorrow. Let's just take a day. Have you ever tried shawarma? There's a shawarma  joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I wanna try it," Tony said, rambling.

"We're not finished yet,"  Thor says sternly, motioning towards Stark's building. I knew Loki would be there hiding out. But, we weren't going to let him get away with this. 

"And then shawarma after," Tony said, not letting the idea go.

We all head towards Stark tower. Thor grabs me and Tony grabs Steve and they fly us over towards the building.

We all stand in formation, staring down at Loki. I have to admit we really feel like a team now.

"If it's all the same to you. I'll have that drink," he says slyly.

"I guess you don't know who your messing with, we're Earth's mightiest heroes."