Chapter 1: Kriss

It was time. 

In a few minutes, Maxon would make his decision. I could tell by how he was acting that it was me. He didn't even glance at America, and he was talking up a storm with me. If I was correct, I would be the next future Queen of Illéà. I turned to America.

"No matter what happens, I hope we can still be friends." I told her.

 She nodded silently and went back to staring at the table. Maxon stood up and the room quieted at once.

"Good morning, everyone. The Selection has come to an end, and I have narrowed it down to two girls." the crowd cheered. "And now it is time for me to announce my engagement! My future wife will be Kriss!" 

I stood up at once and started crying tears of joy. I kissed Maxon in front of that big crowd, and half of them cheered, and half of them booed.I wasn't the favourite, but I was going to marry Maxon, and that was all I needed. I saw America get up and walk away crying, and I felt a rush of triumph. Serves her right, the little skank. She always stole my spotlight but not anymore. Maxon was looking off at America too, and I had to snap my fingers in front of his face to break him out of the trance.

"Hello?" Maxon snapped out of it. "Your future wife here, trying to have a good time." I said, maybe a little too forcefully. Maxon looked at me funny but then smiled.

"Kriss, you know, you're..... great." 

I was expecting an 'I love you' but we'd save that for later. 

I happily took Maxon's arm as we walked into the ballroom, surrounded by paparazzi. I smiled at the cameras and Maxon had to drag me away from them.

"Maxon, I love you." I said, trying to see if he loved me too.

"Kriss, isn't it a little early-"

"A little early? We're getting married! You don't love me?" I started welling up.

"No Kriss, it's not that I don't love you. It's just that, well, I would like to keep things slow. Not rush into things. Just like you with the kissing."

 I let out a big sigh of relief. He was just like me.

"So, how about we go talk to my parents?" Maxon said as he pulled me over to the King and Queen. Queen Amberly looked slightly disappointed, and King Clarkson was beaming.

"Hello there, you two. Congratulations, Kriss." The king was really happy. The queen gave a weak smile and nodded.

"I'm really sorry, but I'm not feeling well. Clarkson, I'm going to sleep. Congratulations, Kriss." she walked away. I beamed at the king and he smiled back.

"Well, I've always wanted to have a daughter." King Clarkson said happily. Maxon gave a half smile and led me over to his advisors.

"You surely know Kriss." Maxon said as I shook their hands.

"It's nice to meet you." I said, smiling. Two of them returned the smiles, but the other one didn't.

 We chatted for a bit, and the whole time, the one advisor was giving me the death stare. As I walked away, he came up and whispered in my ear.

"I know what you are. Lady America would have been so much better than you." I shivered as he walked away, and Maxon must have noticed.

"Are you cold?" he asked awkwardly.

"No, I'm fine, thanks." I replied, disappointed. Maxon was more protective of America. But then, he loved me the most, so he chose me. 

I was so excited. We danced and talked to a bunch of people until lunch. We ate in silence, and Maxon and I went to get some rest. There was going to be a huge party tonight, and I didn't want to miss it.

 I woke up, and stretched in my bed. My maids helped me get ready and put me in an extravagant evening gown. It was made of red silk, so soft it could be a blanket. There were little diamonds all over it, and I topped the look off with my star necklace. A shiver want down my spine. That man knew I was a rebel. I decided to tell Maxon after supper about the whole rebel thing. My maids pinned my hair up with beautiful diamond clips, and I was ready. 

I walked into the fully decorated ballroom, and everything went silent. Maxon came up the steps and took my arm, but he was rigid. He had a fake smile on, and he wasn't relaxed at all. I shook it off. It was probably just nerves. We walked down the steps, cameras flashing every second, some people cheering, and some booing. The Selected girls were all in a huddle, looking at me and whispering. I smiled at Tiny but she didn't smile back. what did they have against me? Soon, it was time for supper to be served, and right before we ate, Maxon stood up and made a toast.

"To my future wife, Americ-" 

The room went silent. 

There were gasps coming from all corners of the room and I could feel the tears welling up.

"Uh, I mean Kriss." Maxon's face went red and there were a few claps and cheers. 

I was still in shock. I ate my food, not talking to anyone. I went into the library after, to get some time alone. Maxon walked in and sat beside me.

"Kriss, I'm sorry. It was an innocent mistake." Maxon said, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"It's ok, Maxon. I forgive you." I smiled at him and he gave me a kiss on the forehead. It occurred to me that we were alone, and I had to tell him about me being a rebel.

"Maxon, I need to tell you something." I bit my lip and Maxon furrowed his brow.

"What?"

"I," I played with my necklace. "I'm a rebel." Maxon looked super surprised and backed away a little.

"Northern or Southern?" he asked.

"Northern." I replied.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Maxon asked, getting a little angry.

"I promised I would keep it a secret." I said. I really didn't need Maxon to know this much.

"Promised who?" Maxon asked, getting angrier.

"My rebel group." I bit my lip and Maxon's eyes widened.

"All this time?" Maxon said. "You've been lying to me?" I nodded and Maxon's eyes got even bigger. "I need to be alone for a minute." he said, storming off. 

I had really struck a nerve I guess. Just them, I saw a flash of red hair behind the bookshelf. America. She was spying on us. 

Well, now that the Selection was over, I could drop the nice-girl act. I smiled to myself as I thought about my plan. I was a Southern rebel, and I was going to rule Illéà. Phase 1 was done. I was engaged to Maxon. Phase 2 was to eliminate the Royal family and anyone who got in my way. And that happened to be America.

Mwahahahahaha!!! Cliffhanger on the 1st chapter! Sorry guys. If you like this story, you should go check out The Queen by @emmalmgren13 (Emily). Give this chapter a rate and comment what you think is going to happen next!
~Emily and Hannah