Chapter 9: America

"Maxon!" I yelled, tears running down my face. Nurses and doctors rushed to my bed.

"What's wrong, Miss?" a nurse asked.

"Just another nightmare." I whispered. I wiped the cold sweat off of my forehead and dismissed the staff. I'd been having nightmares ever since Maxon.....

Died.

It even hurt to think about the word. More tears streamed down my face. I still couldn't imagine a life without Maxon. I got up, my bare feet making contact with the cool palace floor and ran.

I didn't care that the wound in my stomach was painful, I didn't care that my feet were going to get dirty, and I didn't care that I was in plain sight. All I cared about was Maxon.

I ran down the palace halls, my feet taking me to where I needed to go. I stopped in front of Maxon's room and pushed the door open. Surprisingly, it was unlocked. I stumbled in, tears flooding my face, and collapsed on to the big bed. The sheets were crisp and made, but they smelled like Maxon. I climbed under the covers, not caring that I would get in trouble. I held myself, let myself cry, let myself think about Maxon.

When Maxon sent me home, I seriously thought that that was the worst thing that could possibly happen. I was sure. But now I was sure that this was the most painful thing that could ever happen to me. Maxon, my love, was dead.

I closed my eyes and let the tears run down my face. I saw Maxon's face; his strong jawline, his short honey-blond hair, and his eyes. His beautiful, kind, brown eyes. I kept that picture in my mind, and promised myself that I would never forget it. Because now, the only time I would see Maxon was in my memories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Miss, you can't be in here." I looked up to see Lucy, her eyes frantic. "You have to get out."

"Lucy, I-" I began.

"If you leave now and get back to your bed, you won't be in too much trouble." I silently nodded and followed Lucy back to the hospital wing. Dr. Ashlar was standing by my bed, glaring.

"What did you think you were doing?" he asked. "For one, you're in critical condition and could seriously damage something if you move the wrong way! And you can't just go into the Prince's room whenever you feel! Even though you're in the palace temporarily, it doesn't mean that you're royalty. You're still a Three."

I looked down at my bare feet, ashamed. "I'm sorry. It't just with Maxon...." I choked on my tears. "With Maxon... dead, I just miss him so much." I broke down and Dr. Ashlar looked confused.

"What are you talking about?" the doctor asked. "Prince Maxon is not dead."

Maxon wasn't dead. Maxon wasn't dead!

I shot up to my feet frantically. "Where is he? I need to see him! I need to talk to him!"

"Well, you can't really talk to him either. You see, His Highness is in a coma-like state and is in intensive care."

My heart dropped. "Can I at least see him?" I asked. I was still relieved that Maxon hadn't died, but a coma wasn't much better.

"Only for a little bit." Dr. Ashlar replied. "Follow me." I followed him down a corridor and into a separate hospital room. There was Maxon, lying on the hospital bed, sleeping soundly. The heart monitor was beeping at a steady pace, and I rushed toward him.

"Maxon." I whispered, tears coming down my face again. "Maxon, wake up."

He stayed completely still, still sleeping. I grabbed his hand and kissed his fingertips, one by one. I ran my fingers along his palm and squeezed his hand lightly.

"Please don't go." I told him, still holding his hand. "I love you." I stayed with Maxon until I had to leave, and went back to my bed.

"Well, it seems that you are almost ready to leave. Your wound will need to heal for a few more days, but the doctors did a good job fixing you up. You'll leave in three days."

Three days. Three days and I would go home and be expected to return to my normal everyday life. I doubted I could.

"Will I be in full health in three days?" I asked.

"You'll still have to take it easy for the next month, but yes, you will be in full health." the doctor replied.

"Thank you." I told him. "For everything."

He came closer to me and put a hand on my shoulder. "I know it's been hard for you. We all know. Stay strong." He walked away. I laid in bed for the rest of the day, talking with maids and nurses. Mom, May and Gerad came and kept me company too.

"How's it going, Ames?" May asked as she walked in.

"Maxon-" I replied.

"It's going to be okay, America." Mom said, cutting me off.

"No, Mom. Maxon- he's not dead." I said with a straight face.

"Where is he?" May asked. "And why are you not with him now?"

"Well, he's in a coma." I said, tears coming again. This time they were light, not like the tears I cried last night.

"That's good, America." Mom said. "He's alive." She smiled and I returned it, but weaker.

"But what if he doesn't wake up?" I said. "What if he dies for real this time?"

"He'll wake up. He loves you too much. I promise, Ames." May said.

I gave her a hug. "Thank you." I said.

"Don't be sad, America." Gerad said. "Let's go play ball!" he grabbed my hand and pulled at it, but I resisted.

"Gerad, I have to stay in bed. But I promise, as soon as we get home, I'll play ball with you. Ok?"

"Ok." he replied, disappointed. I chatted with my family and I almost forgot about the mess that was my life. 

Almost.

That night, the lights dimmed and I pulled the blankets up to my chin. I let my mind wander and I thought about what would have happened if I hadn't have entered the Selection. I would still be a Five, I'd still be in love with Aspen, and I wouldn't be injured like this. I wouldn't have a scar in my shoulder and I wouldn't have Marlee or Celeste or any of my other friends I had met in the Selection. But most important of all, I wouldn't have met Maxon.  And right then and there, I decided that if I or Maxon were to die at this point, I would be sad, but grateful for the life that we spent together.

Phew! That was close! Thanks for sharing and reading and voting and commenting on this story! And also, I really like those shoes you're wearing! Thanks guys!

~Emily and Hannah