Chapter 13: America

"America!"

A familiar face hovered above me as my eyes adjusted.

Marlee.

"What? Is something wrong?" I sat up, looking around.

"No, silly!" Marlee laughed. "It's your birthday! Happy eighteenth!" She dragged me out of bed and into the kitchen where Mom, May, and Gerad were sitting at the table, smiling.

"Happy birthday!" they all said, beaming.

I rushed over to the table and hugged each one of them, thanking them. I turned to Marlee. "Thank you so much." I said, giving her a hug too. I pulled away from the embrace. "Where's Carter?" I asked.

Marlee shook her head, smiling. "He's out on the streets, looking for jobs. Typical Carter."

Gerad came up to me, tapping my arm. "America, we've got something for you!" He raced into the living room, pulling me along with him. There was a small gift bag on the carpet, with ribbon and a card that said my name on it.

"You really didn't have to." I said, looking at Mom.

"Nonsense. It's your birthday, you get a present." she said.

"Open it!" May squealed, clapping her hands. "Oh, you'll love it! I just know it."

I pulled the card out and read it through.

Happy eighteenth birthday, America. You are so beautiful, and I love you.

Yours truly,
Maxon

I gazed at the thick paper, shocked. "M-Maxon..." I uttered.

"Open it." Marlee whispered, a grin forming across her face.

I pulled at the flimsy tissue paper and set it aside. Once all of it was gone, there was nothing but a simple white envelope inside the bag.

I lifted it out, my hands shaking.

Maxon. This is from Maxon.

I ran my finger under the flap of the envelope, breaking the seal. I pulled out one rectangular piece of paper, and it took a few seconds to realize what it was.

A plane ticket.

To Angeles.

I looked up at my family and I could feel the disbelief on my face. Mom, smiling widely, handed me a small piece of paper, and urged me to read it.

I'm awake, America. I'm awake, and I miss you like hell. Come back to the palace. Please. I can't live without you, and every second, minute, hour, and day I'm away from you is worse than the last. This is not an order. It is a request, a beg, a plea. Please come back. I miss you.

Maxon

"Of course I'll come back." I whispered, a tear rolling down my cheek. This wasn't a tear of sadness, or regret, or mourning. This was a tear of happiness, of relief, of joy. "Thank you." I said, more happy tears running down my face. "Thank you guys so much! I love you all."

I wrapped my arms around my family and kissed them all. When we finally broke apart, I looked at each and every one of them and smiled, so happy and thankful for them.

"You'd better get ready." May commented, looking at my ticket. "The plane leaves in three hours."

I pulled away, smiling the biggest smile I could manage. "Can you come help me pick something out?" I asked, turning to Marlee and May. I headed for my room, and the two other girls followed.

"Do you have any dresses from the palace?" May asked, opening my closet doors.

"Yes." Marlee answered for me. My whole upper half of my closet was full of all the dresses I wore to the palace. I grabbed for a lacy blue day dress and held the fabric in my hand, sighing in anticipation. I was going to see Maxon.

"This one's pretty!" May said, pulling out a emerald coloured gown.

I laughed, and took the hanger from my younger sister. "This is a gown. It's for the evening."

"Well, you'll be at the palace for the evening, won't you!" she said, pursing her lips and putting the dress into my suitcase.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We ended up picking a few dresses and some jewelry to take to the palace. Assuming I'd be staying there for a while, I knew the maids could make me some.

"Be safe." Mom said, kissing me on the cheek. I pulled her into a quick hug and moved on to May.

"Are you going to marry Maxon?" she asked, looking excited.

"I don't know." I said, smiling. "But Maxon wanting me at the palace seems like a good thing." I kissed her on the cheek and crouched down to Gerad.
"Be a good boy." I said, smiling. "Don't give Mom too much trouble." I leaned in to kiss his cheek too, but he ran away.

"Blech!" he shouted, scrunching his face up in disgust. I laughed and moved on to Marlee.

"Thank you. For everything." She pulled me into a hug and I rested my head on her shoulder.

"We'd better get going." I said, pulling Marlee along. She stopped, confused.

"We? You're the only one going."

I smiled and revealed the second ticket that was attached to the first one in the envelope. "Maxon gave me two tickets. You're coming to the palace with me!"

Her face lit up and she pulled me into another hug. "Thank you! Thank you so much!"

"You don't have to say thanks." I said, pulling away from the hug. "But like I said, we'd better get going."

We both headed for the terminal, giving my family a final wave. People in the airport gathered around us and asked us questions like, "What really happened at the wedding with Kriss?" and, "Is Prince Maxon going to survive?". We brushed them off and got onto the plane. We sat down in our seats, and Marlee looked out the window and sighed.

"This is just like the first trip to the palace. When we were in the Selection." She had a  strange look on her face: almost hopeful, but sad.

I smiled weakly. "Yeah, it is, isn't it." I smiled even more when I thought of Celeste. "Do you remember how intimidated we were of Celeste?"

Marlee smiled. "Yes. We had our minds set that she was going to be the next princess of Illéà." She paused for a second. "What happened to Celeste?"

A lump in my throat formed. "She.. she uh- she got shot when Kriss flipped out." I said sadly. All of the Selected were at the wedding, and I regretted not talking to them.

"Oh." Marlee said, looking down. "What are we talking about? You're going to see Maxon! That's a happy thing!"

A smile spread over my face. She was right; I was going to see Maxon! A wave of anticipation hit me. I couldn't wait to get to the palace. Marlee smiled at me and I dug through my bag, looking for something to do.

"Looking for something to do?" she said, leaning over my shoulder, peering into my bag. "I think...." she started, grabbing her own bag. "Aha!" she exclaimed, pulling out a battered deck of cards. "You know how to play solitaire?"