Chapter 14: Kriss

"Excuse me, but do you have any spare change?" I said, looking up to the woman walking past me on the streets. She looked away from me and huffed, walking away without taking a second glance.

I had made it to northern Angeles, and was sitting on the curb in a small city, begging for money.

I'd been here three days, and the most I'd gotten was five dollars and a handful of change that amounted to twenty-seven cents. I looked around at the people walking past me, playing the game I had invented yesterday when I was bored. I tried to guess the peoples' castes by their appearances.

There was a tall man in an expensive looking suit, shiny shoes, sunglasses, and a black tie that walked past me.

Definitely a Two. Maybe a producer, or a director, or a host of some show. I thought.

I played the game for forever until I decided it was time to leave the city. I hadn't gotten much, and I was a fugitive of a sort, so I couldn't stay in one place forever or people would get suspicious.

Just as I was packing my things up in my burlap sack, a middle-aged man approached me.

"You look like you need a place to stay." he said in an arrogant tone. "I've got a little extra shed you can sleep in if you'd like."

I debated it in my head. A place to sleep sounded like heaven, but this man was kind of suspicious. His tone, the look in his eyes, his whole demeanour was sketchy.

"Yes or no?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Y-yes." I said. I might as well sleep there. What could go wrong? I was disguised under the layers of dirt and baggy clothes, so no one would recognize me.

"Follow me." he said, grinning impishly.

He led me to a cream coloured house with big pillars by the front door. There was a little pond in front, and the shed was the same colour as the house, just off to the side. He unlocked the door of the shed and guided me in; it was dark and I couldn't see.

I heard a door click shut and he flicked the lights on, to reveal three familiar faces standing in front of a chair.

"Kriss Ambers." Leger said, an evil smile playing on his lips. "So we meet again."

I turned to the man that brought me here, and saw that he was pointing a gun at me.

"Don't move, or I'll shoot." he warned.

I shook my head slightly. "What difference does it make? You've got me, and you're going to kill me eventually. Shoot me now." I demanded, looking at the man right in his eyes. I could tell he was scared, he wouldn't shoot me. I turned to the voice coming from the other side of the room.

"We need answers." Malcolm said, with a look of absolute disgust."We won't kill you until we're satisfied. And if you don't talk, we'll make you. You have attempted to murder the heir of the Illéàn throne and an innocent citizen, so you'll pay your debts."

I attempted to kill the prince of Illéà, got arrested, ran away from home, and got arrested again, and he wasn't freaking dead. The odds were most definitely not in my favour.

I returned the glare to all of the officers as they chained me to the chair in the center of the room. I looked them straight in the eyes, and they did the same to me.

"What do you want?" I said through gritted teeth. My eyes were still fixated on the officers', and I wasn't going to stop. I wouldn't give in this time. I had a clear head.

"You're a rebel. Where is your base, who is the leader, what do they want, and what are they doing now?" Leger asked, unusually calm.

I glared even harder and stayed silent. I wasn't going to crack.

Leger took a deep breath and sighed, frustrated. "I'll only ask one more time. I recall you got shot in the foot during our last meeting, and I'm sure it hasn't healed yet. Answer. Me."

"Never." I snarled.

"Fair enough." Leger said, and he raised his foot. He slammed his booted foot down on my wounded one, and I let out a scream of agony. "TALK!" he yelled.

"No." I said, fighting the pain. I promised myself I wouldn't tell a single thing about the group. I had plans to get back on Heather's good side, and squealing all their plans to the palace guards would not help.

"I will shoot you." he said, his eyes cold. "I promise, I will. You've hurt one of the people I care about, not to mention the prince, so I have every reason to shoot you." He pointed his gun at my stomach.

I closed my eyes and fought the pain in my once-healing foot. I swallowed, maybe for the last time, and shook my head no. "I will never tell you anything. I will take this to my grave. My rebel group is everything to me, and I would never betray them."

Leger looked at me in disgust. "You betrayed Prince Maxon. You betrayed your country."

"I never cared about those things. I care about my rebel group, and everyone in it, therefore, I will never tell you anything."

"Suit yourself." he said, and pulled the trigger. My head flew back and excruciating pain coursed through my entire body. I let in a rattling breath and looked around as my vision started to go blurry.

"She'll be dead in less than a minute." the man that led me here said to Malcolm. "We would never have gotten anything out of that piece of scum."

"Let's go. We have to be back to the palace by tomorrow." Malcolm said, gesturing to the other men. They left, the door closing and locking behind them.

Everything was blurry. I could feel my body shutting down, and I was covered in my crimson blood. Tears ran down my face as I looked down at my pitiful excuse of a body, and held my hand to my stomach, trying to stop the blood from flowing. It was no use. My limbs started to go numb as I lost more and more blood, and black spots flecked my vision.

It'll all be over soon. Soon, all the pain will be gone. Just a little while longer.

The room was enveloped in darkness as the black spots took over my vision. I took in a last breath of air, and let it out, letting all the life drain out of my body.