Chapter 6:

Maxon:
Sunlight streamed through the window of my bedroom. Today is the wedding. I sat up and Kriss ran into the room.
"We're getting married! Maxon, aren't you excited?" She kissed me and laughed. I smiled weakly and kissed her back.
"Of course! We'd better go down for breakfast; Silvia might explode if we're not on time." Kriss giggled and I got up out of bed. I remembered sending a wedding invitation to America last night. It just seemed right. We got down to breakfast and Kriss's parents greeted us.
"Oh, Kriss, I'm so excited for you!" Her mother said, giving Kriss a hug. Her father gave her a quick peck and hugged her too.
"I can't believe my baby girl is getting married! To the Prince of Illéà!" I laughed nervously when he patted me on the shoulder.
"Are you excited, Maxon?" Kriss's mother asked me.
"Of course!" I smiled and kissed Kriss. She smiled and we all sat down to eat. I ended up just playing with my food; there was an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach that wouldn't go away. Something about this didn't seem right.

America:
I woke up to May shaking me.
"Ames, there's a letter for you! It's from the palace!" My eyes grew wider in shock. The palace? I got up and went to the kitchen where Mom was holding an envelope.
"It's from him." She said. My heart ached at the thought of Maxon. But no, he didn't love me; he loved Kriss. I took the envelope and walked straight to my room before opening it. I sat down on my bed and carefully ripped the envelope open. There was a single page that was addressed to me. It was from Maxon.

Dear America,
I'm just going to keep this short. I'm sorry. I overreacted when I found out about you and Officer Ledger. Everyone makes mistakes, and I have definitely made many. I just wanted to invite you to my wedding. I'm probably the last person you want to see right now, but please. You were the only person who I could talk to; who understood me. I miss you so much, America. I can't stop thinking about you. Please.
Sincerely,
Maxon
I held the letter in my hand for some time, then got up and walked around. May came in.
"What did it say?" May asked softly. I came to her and hugged her.
"He wants me to come to the wedding." I whispered. May looked at me with wide eyes.
"Are you going to go?" She asked, biting her lip. "I think you should go."
"I don't know." I said. We walked to the living room where Mom was reading.
"What is it?" She asked as we walked in.
"M-Maxon wants me to come to the wedding." I said. Moms eyes widened, just like May's.
"I know it's a tender subject for you, but I really think you should go. It seems like he wants to make amends." I nodded and bit my bottom lip.
"I- I'll go." I said nervously. We ate breakfast and May and Gerad helped me pack for the palace and I was off to the airport.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I got out of the car and gazed at the familiar palace walls. I sighed and walked in the doors, and I was greeted by Lucy.
"Lucy!" I said, running to give her a hug. "I've missed you!" Lucy laughed and smiled.
"I'm glad you came. And Maxon will be too. Do you have a dress to wear?" I held up my bag and smiled.
"I've got plenty. Where-"
"Hello, America." It was Maxon, sheepishly walking towards me. My heart skipped a beat when I saw him, but I pushed it away. He loves Kriss.
"Hi, Maxon." I smiled weakly.
"Can we talk for a minute?" He asked me. I nodded and he led me to a different corridor.
"I'm glad you came." He said. I couldn't help but notice that he looked really good in his wedding suit.
"I'm sorry I lied to you." I blurted out. "I didn't know, and it was all so-"
"It's ok. I forgive you. I miss you, America. I-" he stopped. He looked as if he wanted to kiss me, but he didn't. Instead, he looked at his watch.
"I'd better go. The wedding starts soon, I'll get a maid to take you to your room." He gave me a quick hug and rang for a maid. I ended up getting Bariel's old room. I changed quickly and went down to the ballroom to the ceremony. I walked down the palace halls, tears rising up in my eyes. I recognized spots where Maxon and I had fought, had laughed, had kissed, and then came to my old room. I stood in the spot right in front of the door where Maxon had found Aspen and I. I willed the tears to go away and kept walking. I reached the ballroom and found a seat next to a lady with a really big hat. It was purple with feathers and a wide, floppy brim. I looked around and saw Maxon, standing at the altar, waiting for his bride.

Maxon:
My eyes interlocked with America's as I was standing at the altar. During our talk, I had the sudden urge to kiss her. She looked so beautiful in her dress; it was the one she had worn on our first official meeting. The music started and the bridesmaids started walking down the aisle. The flower girl came, then the music changed. Kriss walked down the aisle with a huge grin on her face. This doesn't feel right. I smiled at Kriss and she came up beside me and we turned to the priest. The uneasy feeling was getting stronger.

America:
As soon as I saw Kriss walking down the aisle, tears came to my eyes. But they weren't tears of joy. They were tears of sadness. I still loved Maxon, and he was getting married to Kriss.

Maxon:
"Do you, Kriss Ambers, take Maxon Schreave to be your lawfully wedded husband?" The priest asked.
"I do." Kriss said, looking excited.
"And do you, Maxon Schreave, take Kriss Ambers to be your lawfully wedded wife?"
"I-" I glanced at America. She was crying. I wanted to go over and comfort her, kiss her, tell her I loved her. I love America. "I don't." I said, and everyone gasped.
"What?" Kriss asked. I turned to the crowd.
"I don't. I love America Singer, not Kriss Ambers. I should have realized that before I ended the Selection. America, break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyway." I looked at America and she smiled.
"Maxon-"
"Every beat of my heart is yours." I said, cutting her off. "I don't want to go on living without you knowing that." She smiled, tears of joy running down her face. Kriss pushed me over.
"No! This was not how it was supposed to work out! My plan was working, and this stupid redhead messed it all up! I guess I'm going to have to get rid of you now, America." The crowd gasped again and Kriss pulled out a knife from under her dress. She lunged towards America and screamed.
"America!" I ran over to her but it was too late. Kriss's knife was already deep in America's stomach.
"Maxon. I love you." She was gasping for breath and people started calling for doctors. I ran to her side and put her head on my lap.
"America, don't go. I love you, America; I always have. I was just too stupid to notice. Please, don't go." I was crying with America in my arms, until the doctors rushed her away. I stood up and Kriss was standing across from me, bloody knife in hand.
"What have you done?" I asked, horrified.
"I just killed America. And I'm about to kill you." She lunged at me with the knife and knocked me down to the floor. I pushed her off of me and pinned her down.
"You're a Southern rebel, aren't you?" She nodded and quickly got out of my grasp and stood up. I felt a sharp pain in the small of my back, then everything went black.