The Rift

Chelsea stared into the blackened room like it was the man who created Internet. She was fascinated by the architecture even more in the shrine itself. The hieroglyphs were painted into the rock structure. Honestly I had no clue what was so fascinating.
"C'mon let's just get this over with already." I said.
She pinched an eye at me signaling to not start.
I turned from her and glanced over at the birdbath. It was white, made from clay filled with clean water. There was something odd about the bath that gave me an overwhelming sense of death. Best to not interact with it.
"So there is a birdbath that we are supposed to use around here. Do you see it anywhere?" Chelsea said.
I pointed to it, "This one?"
She walked over and stared at it. Her face gleamed with fear, honestly our fears were different.
The large doors I opened closed, shaking the entire room. They clicked together, locking us inside the room.
"Well...we're locked in now and he only thing left to do is go through the portal, right?" I asked.
Chelsea shook her head, "This one isn't a portal, it's a Rift. They are different although they are the same. The rift doesn't take us to the real world. It just sends us to another nightmare."
"Speaking of nightmares, who's nightmare is this and what exactly happens?" I asked.
She shrugged her shoulders still examining the birdbath. My interest was pointed towards the shrine itself. It was detailed to show the world ending. A giant ball being sent into another giant ball and then it blows up. That is what was drawn on the shrine.
"Hey, there's a button over here." Chelsea pressed the button scaring herself.
We heard clicking from the walls and soon a shaft was open. I could hear footsteps walking from the shafts. People burst through vents in the room and dropped in with weapons made from bone and wood.
I pulled out my pistol moving close to Chelsea. She still had her big ass gun loaded so that helped.
"On the count of three we start shooting." I said.
"Fuck that." Chelsea started to fire. She took down everyone in the room as well as some beginning to come in. I pointed my gun towards one vent and fired inside. I heard screams of pain.
Her gun was so loud that the room didn't echo despite it being large. My hears were practically destroyed and I was no longer able to hear correctly when she stopped. Bodies and blood were filling the room. I walked to the shrine and stared at it for a moment. I could feel it moving, but it didn't show any movement.
The shrine let out a shockwave sending Chelsea and I flying. I landed in a body pile, blood covering my torso. It was a pure mess that I was put in. Chelsea was knocked unconscious by the wave, a huge gash in her right thigh. I stood up slowly, staring at the shrine, it was blue this time.
"Why is a portal so different from a rift? Jeez Chelsea, should shine some light upon me." I said aloud.
I limped over to her body and picked her up. I had her in both arms trying not to limp. As I moved, my leg got weaker to the point of dropping Chelsea and falling over. I felt my soul being ripped from my body, and it felt peaceful. I could feel the coolness of my body beginning to take place.
Chelsea woke up nearly screaming in fear.
"I thought you were a stone cold killer, but you're just a soft murderer." I mocked her.
She stood up and stared at the Rift. She was bedazzled by the beautiful sparks floating around. The blue beam broke through the roof of the floor sending dirt in all directions.
The Rift was starting to implode the entire underground passageways. The blue beam shot in each hallway and out into the sky.
The gravity pushed the beam out instead of pulling it in.
"What the hell did you do?" Chelsea asked me in a menacing tone.
"Don't look at me, if you hadn't pushed the damn birdbath then this shit wouldn't have happened. You're the one at fault here so don't blame me for your stupid actions." I yelled over the monstrous garbled sound coming from the shrine.
She clenched her fist and walked to me.
Fuck this.
I ran to the shrine and jumped into the Rift. For a moment I could feel the world moving away from me. Like I was floating on the moon or just flying away. Honestly I loved this feeling, but I was afraid because I didn't know where I would go or what I might end up in.
The Rift was a blue void of white dots and yellow lines across the endless space. It was like a space parody movie gone right and finished wrong. I don't really know what I mean by that.
The space was like a bird taking flight for its first time, it was an amazing discovery as well as an amazing feeling to ones body and thought.
My body being uplifted and it was like I was getting high off of the oxygen. My mind was not actually there. I couldn't explain it besides...being high or drunk. I could hear voices of English from the eighteenth century. Without really noticing it, I was feeling a bed behind me. The textures and colors formed a wooden house in the middle of the west.
In the bed, I sat up staring at the windows. I walked over to the door and I moved downstairs. The town was bold and barren.
I was alone.