Chapter 5

Chapter 5

--------------------

I never imagined a servant of the goddess of punishment and torture would seem... cute.

Breakfast with Yohee, Ju-dong, and Mura was interrupted by the unbalanced fluttering of the girl's wings and her clumsy fall to the ground. The scroll that was in her arms rolled to our feet.

As Ju-dong picked up the scroll, I motioned to the little girl and gave him a questioning look.

"Ah, you mean her?" He asked, understanding my silent message. "She's one of Suh Wangmo's closest associates. Don't look down on her." He warned as he untied the ribbon and pulled open the scroll.

"What does it say?" Yohee asked, leaning over to see the scroll's contents.

Mura also looked interested but stayed where she was, continuing to smoke her pipe.

"This is bad," Ju-dong said with a grim expression on his face. "It says that Suh Wangmo will be coming to Water Country."

"Really? Then what are we going to do?" Yohee asked nervously.

"Why now all of a sudden?" Mura said thoughtfully.

"Excuse me."

Everyone turned to look at me.

"Who is this person?" I questioned. "Is she a frightening person? Everyone seems to be scared of her."

"Well," Ju-Dong scratched his head. "She's Habaek's mother." He paused for a moment and started to speak again.

"And she's the goddess of punishment and torture."

--------------------

In Water Country, the moon never waned or waxed. It simply stayed in its full form, gleaming brightly in the night sky. Since the night breeze was quite nice, I decided to relax outside and enjoy the view of the moon.

"Soah? What are you doing here all alone?"

I turned around, seeing Yohee coming in my direction.

"I was just thinking by myself." I answered as I tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear. Although the wind felt good, it had the tendency to make my hair fly everywhere. "Should've tied it up," I mumbled.

She stared at me for a few seconds and then grinned brightly at me. Her hands reached for mine and held them in the air.

"If it's about Suh Wangmo, then don't worry about it!" She reassured me, although the thought never crossed my mind. "Everything will be alright, so cheer up Soah."

Not knowing what to say, I simply smiled back at her and squeezed her hands in return.

"Thank you."

"Also, where is Habaek? Isn't he suppose to comfort you in these types of situations?" She said incredulously, putting her hands to her hips.

"It's fine, Yohee. I don't expect that from him. That would be too selfish." I waved off her concerns. "Anyway you should go back inside, it's late. I'll go a little later."

"Oh, ok." Yohee waved goodbye to me and made her way back to the palace.

But now that I think about it, where has Habaek been all day?

The next thing I knew, I came across Mui taking a bath in the water.

--------------------

Honestly! Who would take a bath at this sort of place? So weird.

After I saw Mui burst out of the water, I immediately hid behind a pillar, not knowing what else to do. If I met him head on, he would probably think I was some sort of pervert.

As if sensing I was there, he spun around and glared right in my direction, the water swirling with him.

"Who's there?" He shouted.

Who would announce themselves in this sort of situation?!

Silence engulfed the place and the only sound was the whoosh of the wind, making the plants shake and the water quiver. I could only hold my breath, hoping that he couldn't somehow hear my pounding heart.

"Hmph. A little mouse has just hidden itself. I know you're there. Just come out and show yourself."

Suddenly, a form of a dragon was created from the water, and it wrapped itself around Mui.

"You know I'll be able to see you when I kill you." He pointed out. His water dragon looked like it was ready to pounce.

Crap! I'm so dead!

"Wait!"

I turned to peek out of the pillar and saw a winged wolf gracefully fly down on the roof of a building. It's fur was pale and bright like the moon in the dark sky.

"It has been a while, head master of the water realm." The wolf said, announcing himself.

I breathed a small sigh of relief when Mui turned to look at the wolf.

"So it was you, Banwang."

"Your quick temper is the same as usual." Banwang pointed out.

"Shut up," Mui snapped. "You're the one stealing a glance at someone bathing, you perverted dog."

I couldn't help but internally laugh at his comment, since I'm the one who accidentally came across him taking a bath.

"What, you don't like this look?" Banwang asked. "Then I'll talk to you in this form." The wolf transformed into a man, his faced masked by his helmet.

"The emperor has asked me to escort you to him." He stated.

"I don't want to hear what he has to say," Habaek said as he pulled on his robe and started to climb up the steps out of the water. "So please leave. Your dog hairs are flying all over the place."

"It's about Nakbin."

At just hearing her name, Mui froze in his tracks and became silent.

Nakbin?

I also felt something inside me stir after hearing that name. There was a familiar feel to it but I wasn't able to recall it.

Satisfied that just saying her name would make some sort of effect, the masked man continued to speak.

"He said that you would understand what I'm talking about."

Ba-thump

My hands went up to my temples as I felt a sharp pain in my head. My breathing turned rapid and my vision became foggy.

"Not... again," I panted, recognizing the same feeling I had back at the palace.

Losing the strength in my knees, I slid down along the pillar. The sound I made from doing it made both men turn my way in surprise.

The water dragon unraveled itself around Mui and shot towards me, it's neck snaking around my arm. It pulled me out of hiding from the pillar and revealed me to the two men.

"Soah?!" Mui asked incredulously. He glided through the water as if it was as easy as walking and caught hold of my wrist.

Having no strength to fight him, I let him pull me towards him into his embrace. My eyes started to flutter close as Habaek asked me what was wrong, even though I could barely hear him.

Putting his hands under my knees and back, he lifted me up and rested his ear against my chest. He breathed a sigh of relief and held me tightly in his arms.

Mui... put me down... feels... uncomfortable.

However, the words wouldn't come out, and I lost consciousness.

"This Miss..."

Mui looked startled after realizing that Banwang was still present and held me even tighter.

"Maybe she..."

"She's nothing!" Mui declared.

"I see..." And the masked man's form disappeared into the night.

--------------------