Chapter 11

Chapter 11

--------------------

"Someone get help! She's not responding!"

"This is impossible!"

"How did she come back?!"

What? Where am I? So many voices. My body hurts.

I slowly opened my eyes, attempting to survey my surroundings with difficulty. My cheek rested against the rough grass, and my clothes were soaking wet, making it even harder for me to move. I realized I was sprawled out on the edge of a lake.

My vision still took some time to focus, but I was able to see people frantically moving about. They called more people to come see the spectacle which was me.

Then a certain figure came running towards me and knelt down, grabbing my face between their hands.

Such rough hands. Who is this?

"Soah! Oh my goodness! Thank the gods for your return!" The person cried.

As I made out the person's features, I realized it was a woman, her tears streaming down her face and her eyes filled with utter relief.

"Please say something! Are you ok? Can you move?" She asked me impatiently.

"Yes," my voice croaked out, "I think I can."

I slowly rose to my feet, my legs slightly trembling from the feeling. The woman had an iron grip on my arm as if she would never think of letting me go and supported my weight on her.

"Come, let's go back home." She urged me and guided me through the parted crowd that formed.

Most of the people's looks were of disbelief, as if the scene before them was not real.

I let her lead me to wherever home was. There was no strength in me left to refuse her tight grasp on me. As we walked at a slow pace together, I looked at the woman more closely and examined her features.

That face. She is my "mother" right?

I was right. It was the same face that was full of tears before I was sucked into the water. The face that said "I'm sorry."

The face that I couldn't remember.

I shivered unconsciously, and it didn't escape her eyes even though she was looking straight ahead, determined to take me "home."

"I'm sorry," she said, the same words as before. Her eyes enveloped my current appearance with sorrow and pity. "Once we get there, I'll prepare you a bath and a change of clothes."

I simply nodded, not knowing how else to respond to her. With my nonexistent memories, I had absolutely no idea on how to interact with her. I couldn't help but worry if I acted differently from her "daughter." What if she noticed right away? My movements, my facial expressions. I didn't even try to look as if I recognized her.

"We're here."

It was a small house. The walls and the roof were worn out by old age and other natural means. But I could tell as we walked in that there was a feeling of warmth from it, a feeling of a home.