Chapter 13

Chapter 13

--------------------

"Soah, back there... why were you crying?"

Dong-Young stopped me just before I was going to escape within the confines of my house.

After almost getting taken away by the men of the village, witnessing the sudden downpour, and fainting in the middle of it all, I just wanted to be alone. The events from today drained me of energy and left me even more confused.

Before going unconscious, there was a man that appeared, as if he showed up out of thin air. He was a stranger, and yet I couldn't ignore the feeling that plagued my heart. The sight of him flooded me with emotions of sorrow and sadness.

"Dong-Young... did you... see that man?" I asked carefully.

Looking puzzled, he answered by shaking his head.

"Soah, I don't know who you're talking about." He said, concerned. "All I know is that you fainted. And when you finally woke up... you were crying."

I unconsciously wiped my face of nonexistent tears. I felt so weak. What made it even worse was that my supposed older brother figure witnessed it twice. The reason for my crying was beyond me as well.

"Bad dream?" It was such a lame excuse, but I didn't have any answers.

"Well if there's something bothering you," Dong-Young continued, "just know that I'm here for you."

"Thanks," I said quickly before I slammed the door in his face.

That man, he was saying some weird things too. He talked to me as if I was someone he knew. But I was sure I never met him.

The sound of breaking glass brought me back to reality.

"What the hell are you standing around for?!"

I followed the source of the voice to find the face of my father twisted in disgust. He lounged on a chair next to the dinner table and lifted a small flask to his lips.

"Hurry up and do something useful for once, will ya?" He spat.

I walked forward to pick up the remains of the emptied bottle.

"You should be careful," I said, placing a broken shard in my free hand, "drinking like that is bad for your health."

"Huh? What right do you have to scold me like that?!" He growled.

Pulling himself out of the chair, he staggered forward and pointed at me.

"You coming back has caused me so much trouble. I should just sell you off again!"

"And what are you going to do with the money," I countered. "Waste it like how you are doing right now?"

His face contorted in rage, and in that moment, I knew what was about to occur.

"You bitch!" He shouted angrily.

He raised his hand, ready to connect to my cheek with a heavy slap.

Bear through it. The pain is only temporary.

I shut my eyes, ready to feel the sting of his attack. But it never came.

Bewildered, I opened my eyes to see his hand back down to his side.

I looked up and was surprised to see his face not controlled by rage. Not only did he not appear angry, but he actually looked sad, ashamed even.

"Soah, you hate me, don't you?"

"I-"

I didn't know what to say. All this time, I believed that this man was just the lowest of the low, worst than trash. For him to be capable of these emotions shocked me.

"No... I just..." I trailed off.

"It's ok. It was obvious anyway." He said.

There was an uncomfortable silence between us. Then he spoke up again.

"I'm sorry you have such a good-for-nothing father. It's just..." he put his head in his hands.

"If we had more money, maybe things could've turned out differently. I would've bought you anything you wanted."

He paused and continued.

"I wish I could've made you happy. But, through these kinds of actions, I know you won't forgive me."

"No." I simply said.

He brought his face out of his hands in surprise.

"I'm... I'm glad you told me this. It helps me understand why you acted the way you did." I said.

"It's true that what you've done was hateful but..."

He flinched slightly at the word "hateful."

"I'm willing to make amends." I concluded.

His eyes glowed with hope, and he smiled at me. I returned his gaze with a small smile of my own, and he knelt down to help me pick up the broken glass.

--------------------