Chapter 12

Chapter 12

--------------------

"Are you okay now, Soah?" The man named Dong-Young asked. He had one hand wrapped around my waist and another cupping the back of my head. The gesture was clearly intimate, and the blood began to rush to my face when I realized how close we were. He was so close I felt his breath tickle my ear.

"Um... yeah." I said, suddenly self-conscious.

It was embarrassing enough for me to cry in front of him. The feeling was even worse when he pulled me in for a hug. I had no idea who he was, and yet I let emotion take over me.

"You can... you know... um... let go... now." I fumbled over my words.

Realizing how uncomfortable I felt, he released his hold on me, his hand lingering on my long hair. A mischievous grin formed on his handsome face.

"Soah, you already know my feelings about you." He smiled.

That's the funny thing, I don't.

The way he spoke to me meant that we've known each other for a long time, most likely as friends. But what he just said probably means that we weren't so close that we were lovers. Based on all of this, I took a risk to not draw suspicion.

"Dong-Young," the words felt unfamiliar passing through my lips, "we're practically brother and sister."

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. He acted as if we've been through this situation before.

"How many times do I have to tell you, Soah?" He asked. "I'm serious. I want to marry you."

Before I could even respond to his astonishing statement, we were both startled by a loud shout.

"We found her!" A group of men equipped with weapons approached us. "She's over here." One man waved his hand over to where we were.

Dong-Young's arm slipped around my shoulders and pulled me to his side. I looked up to see a cautious expression on his face. The men's faces signified that they were not on any regular, friendly visit.

Approaching us, the man who seemed to be the ringleader laid his eyes on me.

"You need to come with us," the man announced to me.

Dong-Young drew me behind his back, blocking me from the men's vision.

"What business do you have with her." He questioned. "If it's not for a good reason, I'm not letting her go with you."

"We don't have to explain anything!" One man erupted. "Let's just drag her back with us!"

The leader held the man back and sighed in frustration.

"You already know right? The rain hasn't come for a long time. Even when it does, it comes once or twice." The leader explained. "So we asked the priestess to perform the rain ritual."

"And then the prophecy arrived, a message from the gods."

"Kill the girl who was once the bride of Habaek, and the rain will return."

"What?!" Dong-Young yelled angrily. "Are you people insane? Have you lost your minds? Why should Soah be sacrificed on a mere whim?!"