Chapter 6

Ember's internal clock wakes her up, the sun not having any chance of getting at her underground. Her mouth opens wide as she stretches and lets out a high-pitched yawn. Laying on her back, she tilts her head to look at her electric friend, seeing how he is doing. Rather than getting up along with her, he still seems to be fast asleep. Shaking her head at this, the Fire-type rolls over, getting up and walking over to her friend, whom she nudges.

"Hey, wake up. It's a new day in a new part of our lives!" She can't help but let a little excitement enter her voice.

Sparky groans and rubs at his eyes as he starts to wake up. "Morning..." He yawns, slowly moving into a sitting position.

"Good morning." She sits, smiling at him as her tails wag. "Ready for the big day?"

Opening his eyes and seeing his friend, he smiles back and nods before standing up. "Just give me a minute." He heads for the bathroom.

"Lucky I let you go first..." The female squirms in place.

He chuckles. "I'll be quick, don't worry." He shuts the door behind him to take care of business.

Kirlia, or Grace as her close friends call her, sits completely still with her legs folded underneath her as she meditates. No one knew why those who had dug the guild left this single large white stone in the floor, but all knew that once the Psychic-type came along and took a shine to it, it wasn't going anywhere. If ever one needed to find her, this was the first place they knew to look. Today is no exception as she sits there, eyes closed and mind open.

After getting some directions from other members of the guild, it is here where Ember and Sparky finally find her. The Electric-type takes it upon himself to get her attention. "Um...Kirlia?"

She answers them without opening either her mouth or eyes, simple projecting her voice into their minds. "Yes, what can I do for our newest explorers?"

"Uh..." A little surprised at this, the Shinx stumbles over his words for a moment. "W-We're not quite sure...what to do."

"Well, that would depend on if you feel you are ready to take on your first mission." Her voice is matter-of-fact on this.

Ember looks to her friend and nods vigorously. He looks back at her, then nods as well. "We are, yes."

"Excellent." Her eyes snap open, peering at the two at she stands. "If you would follow me, please." She turns and heads straight for the main ladder, heading upwards. All three of them step on the floor the two four-legged Pokémon had seen yesterday. Kirlia walks toward the two large boards, gesturing to them with a hand. "Now, these are the two main mission boards. The one on the left is for missions such as retrievals, rescues, explorations, most things such as that. The board on the right is one specifically meant for bounties posted by the local police force. Questions so far?"

Sparky blinks. "Bounties?" He walks over to the board on the right, looking over the sheets posted on it.

"Correct." Kirlia walks up behind him as Ember does the same. "These types of missions are to track down and apprehend known criminals that are hiding out in dungeons. They never give up without a fight, so you should be aware of that when taking one up."

The Shinx looks at the various sheets. "How come some of them have different letters on them?"

The Vulpix is the one to answer this. "Those are rankings. Think of them as sort of a general difficulty warning so you know what you're getting into."

Sparky nods. "I see...so bounties like these..." He motions to some E-ranks near the bottom, such as a Persian and an Ekans. "...are easier than ones like these?" He gestures to papers higher up on the board, such as a Luxray and a Zangoose, with large red 'A's on them.