Chapter Six

My room was bland, but I didn't expect more after my rant to Soggy Lampshade. Everyone hated me now, if they didn't already. That was fine with me because I didn't want to be a part of this pack, and I wanted to make that fact clear. I'm not hereto make everyone happy, I'm here so I won't be in crippling pain and unable to protect myself.

The man I'd beaten up in the gym was Cora's mate, Jaymes. I kind of felt bad when I saw how broken up she was over him being hurt, but then I remembered that he challenged me. So I had nothing to be ashamed of. I showed him my talents, and he got hurt. Not my problem.

A grumble came from my stomach, and I sighed. Just as I was sitting up from being sprawled out of the bed, there was a knock at the door. I threw it open and leaned against the doorframe, glaring up at my "mate". He held out a plate of food and smiled softly down at me.

"Thanks," I muttered, snatching the plate. There was mashed potatos, corn, and a slab of steak on it. My mouth watered.

"Can we talk?"

I snapped my head back up to look at him. Sighing, I straightened up and stepped back enough so that he could come in. "Welcome to my humble abode."

Amusement crossed his features and he took a seat on the edge of the bed. I closed the door and leaned against it, picking at the steak with my fingers. Embarrassment colored his cheeks as he watched me.

"I'm sorry, I forgot utensils-"

"Don't worry about it. This isn't my first time being held prisoner. I wasn't given utensils the last time either. Something about making it too easy for me to escape," I rolled my eyes and smirked. "Which would have totally been the case."

A brief laugh escaped him, before he sobered up. "You aren't a prisoner, you can leave at any time."

"No I can't. Your wolf won't let me. And I can't put myself in that danger."

"Danger?"

I waved my hand distractedly, a piece of steak flopping with it. "I'd be too vulnerable and unable to protect myself. I doubt the people here would help me if I was ever found, but at least I'd have more of a chance to help myself."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," he said, a hand running through his hair.

"Good," I sighed, placing the empty plate aside. "I may seem like a cold-hearted bitch, but I just don't want to see people get hurt because of me."

"The pack can protect you. I will protect you. All you have to do is give us the chance."

"No, I can't do that. I've heard about your kind before. I know what packs are capable of, and I don't want to be any part of that."

He growled and stood up. "What did you hear that could be so bad that you'd ignore your own mate?"

"I've heard the stories of the Moon Rose and Delta Lace packs. And second of all, the fact that your my mate means nothing to me! I didn't grow up waiting for someone to come along and make me happy. After age twelve, I've known nothing more than blood, fighting, and death. I don't like the fact that my life is written for me!"

"Waiting for you was the only thing I've looked forward to! I may be the Alpha's son, but that's all I am. My three older siblings took the commanding ranks and use me to do all the chores that they don't want to do. I don't even get a say in the going-ons of the pack!"

"Well boo-hoo. Poor little wolf, doing the dirty work in a mansion with a huge family that surrounds him," I hissed at him. His face grew red at my words and I noticed that his eyes flashed black, showing that his wolf was close to the surface.

"You really are a cold-hearted bitch."

I hate that that made my heart ache. I hate that he affected me at all. "At least you have a family! I don't! The closest thing to family that I have is my boss, but he just fired me!"

Some of his anger went away at my words, but his muscles were still tensed. "What happened to your family?"

An image of Veder standing over my parent's bodies came to mind. My mom's chest was ripped open, blood pooling all around her while her heart sat in Veder's palm, still warm. Dad was slumped over, his blank stare was fixed on me while a bullet hole sat in the center of his forehead. The gun that killed him was in Veder's free hand. What made it worse was the memory of rope binding around my wrists and ankles, as I screamed from behind the duct tape over my mouth.

Shaking my hand, I threw open the door to the room. He stepped forward, reaching out for my face, but I backed away. "Don't touch me."

"But-"

"Get out."

"Hey, I'm sorr-"

"I said get out! I don't want to hear your apologies! Just leave me alone!" Tears fell down my cheeks, the only indicator that I was hurting. My blank facade had fallen into place as I watched him walk out of the room. I slammed the door shut and leaned my forehead against it, biting back the sobs that threatened to overwhelm me.

The only thing that could bring me to tears in a heartbeat was the memory of their death. I'd shut down after that. Veder had left me bound and gagged in my house, left alone with the bodies of my parents to stare at for two hours straight. Then the police came and took me down to the station. I was questioned to help with the investigation, but they never caught him and made him pay for ruining my life.

My hands fisted as my heartbreak turned into anger. Cursing loudly, I grabbed a vase from the dresser and chucked it at the wall. The sound of it breaking made me feel better. I turned into a whirlwind, punching holes into the walls, throwing things around, and smashing as much as I could until I stood in the center of the room, nothing left to destroy. That's when I just screamed, letting out all of the anger and heartache I had left in my system. 

Finally finished, I sunk to my knees and just sobbed. I had never gotten to actually grieve my parents' deaths. For eight years, I was too busy learning to fight and working towards killing Veder. That's what landed me the job where I worked for Todecky. As an assassin. I wanted to learn how to kill quickly and efficiently, without using weapons. When I killed Veder, I didn't want it to be as easy as a gunshot to the face. I wanted it to be personal and hands on.

Now that he's dead, I can finally come to terms with the fact that they're dead. Eight years of pent of emotions is a lot of tears to shed. I curled up into a ball and cried into my knees. What hurt the most was knowing that this isn't what my parents would've wanted from me. They would've wanted me to move on and be happy, but I just couldn't do that. I couldn't imagine how I could be happy without them. They weren't just my parents, but also my best friends.

Nothing hurts more than knowing you've failed your parents.