Chapter Twelve

The next morning, I woke up to see that I was cuddled up against Nico's side. He was sleeping still and I smiled when his arms tightened around me. Slowly, I slid out of his grasp and used a pillow to imitate me.

Stretching, I was glad that there was no soreness in my ribs. Laylee did a good job healing them, I'll have to do something to show her my gratitude later. Making my way to the bathroom, I did my business, but after washing my hands, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and gasped.

I was completely healed. The stitches were still in, but there were no injuries. The bruise that should've covered my stomach was nowhere to be found. Frowning, I ran into the bedroom and snatched the shirt that Nico had shed sometime during the night and pulled it on. I ran downstairs and into the kitchen, finding Laylee humming while she cooked.

"Why'd you heal me?" I asked her, worrying for her health.

"Because you were in pain and broken ribs aren't fun to live with," she said without turning around.

"Not the ribs, why'd you heal the rest of me?"

"What?" 

She spun and I saw the confusion on her face before it turned to shock as she looked me over. Dropping the spatula on the counter, she rounded the island and tilted my head this way and that, inspecting my face. Then she lifted the shirt and looked at my stomach with wonder. I blushed furiously, but let her look.

"I didn't do this," she finally said, letting the shirt drop and then staring at me. "This is amazing."

She got back to making some waffles and I stepped up to help with setting the table and making the scrambles eggs and toast. We started talking about how I could've been miraculously healed while the rest of the family came stumbling in and taking a seat at the table along with different pack members. I was glad that Nico's shirt reached my knees as strangers sat down.

A growl came from the doorway and everyone looked over to see a furious Nico. His eyes were completely black and he stormed over to me while sending someone at the table a harsh glare. I was yanked into his arms and his growling became nonstop.

"Mine."

I gasped in pain as I felt his teeth sink into my neck. Laylee gasped and then started shouting at her son to let me go. My head swirled and when he pulled away, his eyes fading to the usual grey. He looked down at my neck and then started swearing.

"Oh, fuçk! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you. My wolf was mad that some of the guys were ogling you and I-"

Silence filled the room as something in me burst and then I felt a tingling sensation on my neck. Bringing my hand up, I found smooth skin and when I pulled my hand back, there was no blood either. 

"What the-"

My head turned to the table as Cora stared at me, as well as everyone else. "What happened?"

"I think the mystery of how you healed is solved," Laylee chuckled and I frowned. She went on to explain, "There was this purple light from inside you and the wound just closed up, but it left my son's mark on you."

My frown only deepened because her word left me with more questions and no answers. Nico's touch on my neck distracted me and I turned to him. "I didn't mean to do that. I wanted it to be special," he mumbled.

"It's okay," I say as I step into his arms.

"We can figure this out later," Laylee said and smiled at me. "It's breakfast time."

I helped carry over the food that the pack immediately dug into. Nico pulled me into his lap and I fell against him willingly, letting him feed me the waffles on his plate piece by piece. He fed himself the eggs, making my laugh when he dropped some on me. The entire pack was conversing and laughing around us, but I was in my own little world with my mate.