Chapter Sixteen

My gasp is audible as it resonated around the room. I didn't care that all eyes were focused on me as I started to shake. Tears welled in my eyes as I realized that they'd lied to me until the day they died. I knew they probably had a reason, so I wasn't mad, just shocked.

I tore my arm away from the man who I'm guessing is the host, I feel like my skin is pulsing. Looking down, I notice that there is a thick purple aura around me. Gasps fill the room and my hood is yanked off. A woman rushes onstage, pulling my into her arms as I just stare at the ground.

"You're alive? Oh, my sweet child, I'm so glad you're alive," she sobs. She pulls back and cups my face in her hands, looking me over. Her hood has fallen back to expose her face and I can't help but feel like I know her. She seems so familiar, but I can't place it.

"The princess is alive!"

I look over to the host and I see that his hood is also off. The entire room has taken off their hoods as they bow to me. Smiling faces greet me and a stabbing pain goes through my head. I stumble, fisting my hands against the pain and then look back at the host.

"I think you have it wrong. I'm no princess. My parents would've told me. I grew up in the human world. I didn't know I wasn't a human until a few days ago. This must be a very elaborate prank."

"Child, you didn't grow up in the human world," the woman says with a frown, worry dancing in her eyes. "You grew up here, in the castle. After your parents were murdered, you disappeared."

"No, no, no. I would know if I'd grown up here. I didn't! I lived in a small house in Massachusetts, with my mom and dad since I was born!"

My head was pounding hard and I cried out, gripping my temples. Shouts were heard all around me as I collapsed onto my knees. Blood dripped out of my nose and my vision became blurry. Voices faded in and out around me.

"-called a memory block-"

"-the king wouldn't do that to his daughter-"

"-very painful to remember-"

"-BRIN!"

Memories danced behind my eyelids and I sobbed as I remembered the day daddy did this to me.

There was a loud crash downstairs followed by screams. I dropped my dolly and ran into the hall just as Nurse Hana ran by. She grabbed me and brought me to daddy's study.

Mommy grabbed me from my Nurse, thanking her. I clung to her hand as she punched a code into the secret place behind daddy's portrait. The safe bunker opened and I peered down the stairs into darkness. Daddy ran into his study and told Mommy to take me down the stairs.

"Go Mirelda, go! I'll be right behind you."

"Daddy? What's going on?"

"We're in trouble sweetie. I need you to be a big girl for me and make sure you and Mommy get down into the bunker, okay?"

"You're coming too, right?"

He smiled wearily and kissed my forehead. "Of course, kiddo."

I beamed and then brought Mommy down the stairs. Once in the bunker, there was a clang at the top of the stairs, then Daddy ran in and closed the door. He sighed and looked at Mommy seriously.

"No, Gerard. They are all safe, trust me. Everyone is safe in the other bunkers. Don't go up there."

He hesitated, then moved away from the door to embrace us both. "Okay. I hope you're right."

I screamed when a loud bang echoed from outside the bunker door. Mommy hid me behind her, eyes frantically looking at Daddy. His eyes were just as wild and then he turned to me.