Chapter 1: New Enemies

"It's official........
      Our worst nightmare has been unleashed."

******
     The Salvatore's stood and observed in dismay at the sight of their beloved home; broken and crumbled away to rubble and ash. They knew now that retirement from their hero duties was not now. Losing their beloved one had shaken them towards a defective status; Damon Salvatore chose solitude and the human blood diet. Stefan Salvatore was broken, but not finished. The two now united, stood side by side one another for the grim ominous scene had compelled them to prepare for their greatest battle yet.

   "It's started. We need to find everyone and meet in the woods." Stefan took charge the situation.

   His brother shut down from what he'd said and only stiffened like a statue that would have crumbled away to dust like the rest of their home had; a century and a half ago, Damon Salvatore would have been dust had he not chosen to be what he is now; a vampire. Damon was hardly an ally anymore, Elena Gilbert's slumbering time had left him this way that he listened to nothing and nobody.

"Damon." Stefan took his brothers shoulder and moved it to try and wake him up.

"Take your hand off me, Stefan." Damon replied in a foul manner.

"We have to plan our moves, Damon, there's no telling what the Heretics could do to this town unless we group together with the others." Stefan continued to argue with his brother over what was important.

"You go. I'll catch up." Damon pulled hi shoulder from his brothers grip.

Stefan, ticked off and concerned for his brother fled at preternatural speed, leaving him alone and vulnerable. With Stefan now gone, Damon crossed the ruins and scanned the remains of all that he and his brother had held dear and treasured as memories of their family's past. When Damon took one final step, a cracked glass scraped out from underneath his sole, he reached down to find that what the glass was from was a picture frame of him and Stefan back in 1864. The picture was dark grey as it would have been in the nineteenth century. Enraged, Damon threw the picture and watched as it landed far away beyond the vicinity of the destroyed Salvatore home. One picture that he had held onto was one of him and Elena; he kept it stored in his coat pocket, he pulled it out and looked at it with eyes that might look as though they're about to close because of exhaustion. Still full of rage, Damon tore the picture in half and dropped the two halves onto the ground to show his separation from her.

Damon decided to contact Bonnie. She responded cautiously to Damon's message, now that nothing could be left to chance, Bonnie and Damon agreed to rendezvous before meeting the others in the woods.
"I'll use a cloaking spell to keep us all hidden from Lily and the Heretics as we plot our counter-attack." Bonnie offered her help, like always.
"Until the Heretics sense the magic and siphon it with their magic suction juice hands." Damon joked without making a sign of amusement on his face.
"This is no time for jokes, Damon." Bonnie replied over the phone connection.
"Bonnie, just promise me that you'll be safe." Damon offered Bonnie his sympathy.

Bonnie was just about the only thing that helped keep him in check- at least a little- and from becoming reckless and losing the part of him that cares. For some unusual reason, Damon received no reply from Bonnie's voice over the phone, he looked at his phone to find that the screen was now pitch black; the battery had run out?! Impossible, Damon at least always charged the battery on his phone. What was happening?

"That's very sweet, Damon. But you don't really care, do you?" he'd recognise that voice anywhere.
Damon turned his head to gaze behind his shoulder at his mother and her new friend.

"Hello mother." Damon greeted his mother like a gentleman with a sassy tongue.

Lily Salvatore donned in a clear blue jacket and skinny dark blue jeans was accompanied by one of her fellow Heretics; a female in a Victorian-19th century black dress and a huge hat with a feather and a veil reaching over her face. The woman removed the veil and revealed her face; vampire veins revealed themselves, covering up to a portion of her face.