Back To School

"Stay still!" Alice ordered as she tried to put my eyeliner on.

Jasper had disappeared after around an hour so he could get changed for school and pick up the car. Apparently he'd be here to drive us both to school...

Alice kept her promise and was doing my makeup for me, "How did you guys get here? And how did Jasper get home?" I questioned her thoughtfully.

She let out a sigh, "We're fast remember?" was all she said.

I made an 'O' shape with my mouth as she picked up an eyeshadow brush, "How--"

"Keep still!" Alice interrupted, sounding a little bit annoyed.

With a roll of my eyes I decided to stay quiet and let her finish my makeup when suddenly there was a loud honk from outside...

"Georgie! Your friends here!" my mum called loudly from downstairs.

"Coming!" I shouted back as I turned to Alice, "See you in a sec?"

She nodded eagerly and I nearly had a heart attack when I watched her jump from my second story window, only to be left clutching my chest when she landed nimbly on her feet and vanished from sight...

Maybe I really did underestimate them too much...

"Come on Georgie!" my mother urged from downstairs.

I quickly grabbed my bag, raced downstairs, took the piece of buttered toast my mum held out to me and rushed out of the door to see Carlisle's Mercedes with Jasper driving and Alice in the passenger seat.

I jumped into the back and grinned at them, "Long time no see Jazz." I winked, joking around.

He had a slight smile on his face as he shook his head, "Your so weird..." was all he said.

"Yeah... But that's why you love me!" I grinned as we sped towards school.

Alice smiled wildly at both me and Jasper, obviously still super-happy about us getting along so well.

We spent most of the ride in a companionable silence until Alice turned in her seat to face me, "What did you want to ask me earlier?" she questioned.

"What??"

She smiled softly, "When I was doing your makeup you were about to ask me something but I told you to keep still so you stopped..."

Jasper chuckled when I just stared disbelievingly, "How did you remember that??" I wandered aloud, surprised.

"Vampires have really good memory." Jazz informed me with with a smirk.

I nodded slowly and Alice motioned for me to tell her, "Oh... I was just gonna ask how long you guys go between hunting." I admitted with a shrug.

Jasper swallowed slightly, and I could instantly tell I'd touched on a bit of a delicate subject... Way to go Georgie! (Note the sarcasm.)

"It depends..." Alice told me, "We can go around two weeks before it gets uncomfortable."

There was an awkward silence as I thought what to say next, "Oh right." was all I managed.

Alice nodded, "We can go longer without hunting, but eventually our thirst would get unbearable and we would attack the first thing that crosses our path." she sighed, a strange regret in her voice.

I tried to get my head around the idea that my two best friends in the world have actually killed people before...

And obviously my silence was noticed because both of them seemed ashamed, "Why... Did you stop?" I managed, my throat closing up.