Chapter Seven

"No."
Nico was on a table in the med-bay, arms crossed and a glare on his face.
"I will not take my shirt off."
Dr. Banner sighed and rubbed his face. "That's the last thing that we need to do! We already got the blood samples, and you've already explained why you're missing one half of your DNA helix, so all that we need to do is a loose physical exam!"
Nico gritted his teeth. "No."
"Why not?" Stark asked. "All you're doing is making this harder on yourself."
The ghost king looked away and raised his chin. Yes, Nico knew that he was acting like a stubborn child, but he refused to let them take off his shirt.
It wasn't just the normal scars from monster fighting that he was afraid of letting them see.
No, it was the awful patchwork from Tartarus that he didn't want them to know about.
Stark sighed. "Fine have it your-Thor! Restrain him! Quickly!"
The billionaire pointed dramatically at the son of Hades, and looked disappointed when nobody moved.
"Seriously? We could have caught him by surprise!"
Thor shook his head. "No, Stark. It would be unwise to attack a powerful demigod such as this one."
"Thank you. I'll have you know that I already had a physical exam before I left, and I could probably get Will-he's a son of Apollo-to send over the results," Nico added.
Banner sighed again. "Fine."
"Good. Now, if you need me, I'll be in my room."
Nico hopped off the table and stepped into a shadow, smirking at the shout of surprise from behind him.
The ghost king walked out into his room. He was exhausted, and knew that he probably shouldn't have used up his energy shadow-travelling. But it had left the Avengers (aside from Thor) with a small taste of his power, and that was worth something.
Nico could practically hear Will yelling at him as he collapsed onto the bed.
------------------------------------------------------
The Avengers held a small team meeting after Nico disappeared.
"So what do you guys think of him?" Stark asked. "I personally think that he would be much more amiable with a girlfriend."
Romanoff narrowed her eyes. "I think that he's hiding something. Why wouldn't he take off his shirt? How does Fury know him? There are too many questions."
"Fury knows a lot of people, and the shirt thing could just be personal preference," Barton shrugged.
"I agree with Barton," Banner said. "Although I will need the results of that exam sooner rather than later."
"What about you, Capsicle?" Stark poked Rodgers' arm.
"I liked him," the super soldier said to their surprise. "I don't like that he's a kid who's fought in wars, but theres something about him that just seems familiar."
He looked at Romanoff. "But I do think that he hasn't told us everything."
It was at that exact moment that JARVIS gave them an alert.
"Mr. di Angelo appears to be screaming in his sleep."