Chapter VIII

I walked out of the room, fuming. I heard Calyx pick up his pace to catch up to me, so I did too. I had no intentions of starting a conversation with him, especially considering what had just happened. I took the back exit, and by then my walk had turned into a jog. I crossed Maple, Thornbush, and  Honeysuckle. Head down, shoulders hunched, babbling furiously at no one and everyone when I heard it. It was too close, the sound of the horn blared into my ears, and I looked up. It was a truck. Big and red and heading right towards me. I considered screaming, and tried to move my feet.
10 feet.
I could see the driver. Mouth closed, shoulders hunched. Oblivious to the fact he was about to have my blood spatter all over his new tires and clean windshield.
5 feet.
I felt a rush of heat and closed my eyes. This is not how I'm going to die.
His hands came flying into my side, crushing my ribs and sending me skittering across the asphalt.
Alive. Barely, but alive. How?
I turned, trembling towards where the truck had been. And there, in the middle of the road stood no one other than Calyx Engel, smirking down on me.

"You are a demented idiot" I growled, still breathing hard and gathering my scattered belongings.
"Hey hey hey, Cassy, that's no way to talk to your knight in shining armor" he winked, but looked drained.
"How the fu" I started, but he interrupted as soon as I started.
"Not important. Are you okay?" he asked, and the genuine concern in his voice stunned me.
"Ehm, sure" I said, and started walking away, unsteady on my feet.
"Not so fast" Calyx drawled, and I turned around to look him straight in the eyes.
"What now, Gorgeousssssss" I rolled out the word and batted my eyelashes at him, clasping my hands over my heart. Then I turned around and kicked him in the shin.
"Easy tiger. You owe me" he said, and I was taken aback by his words.
"You're wrong. It missed me. You didn't do anything" I said, trying to convince myself as well as him.
He snickered, and I kept walking.
"Cassy, come on. You can't go home by yourself right now after what just happened. Act like nothing happened if you want but it just did!" he yelled at my back, and I stopped in my tracks.
"And you care because?" I asked, rolling my eyes.
"Not important" he said winking at me, and then steered me in a new direction.

We ended up sitting at Hilda's, the equivalent of Starbucks here downtown in the Middle of Nowhere. Fog enveloped the place, and the tables were unusually full. He sat across from me, hair messily perfect, eyes piercing as ever.
"This is stupid. Why are we even here" I asked, but try as I might I couldn't conceal that some part of me was happy to be hanging out with someone other than my earphones. Even if that someone was my arch enemy.
"Tell me about yourself" he said, avoiding my question skillfully.
"I don't think I will" I said after a while.
"C'mon Cassy, you owe me" he said, frowning.
"I'll pay for drinks" I said, smiling at him.
"Why are you like this?" he asked, annoyed.
"Like what?" I retorted, starting to get frustrated.
"You close yourself in, and keep everyone out. Is there anyone who even knows your favorite ice cream flavor? Let me in Cassy" he pleaded, and I raised an eyebrow.
"And why the hell would I do that?" I asked.
"Because we're on a date" he answered with a smirk.
"We are most certainly not on a date" I said in indignation.
"And why is that" he asked, still smirking.
"Because I hate you" I replied, and smiled at him openly.
"Ahh, yes. A small detail."

To my surprise, the evening went not bat. I mean it went kind of maybe good. We talked about nothing and everything, and just laughed. It felt better than okay. It felt like I could just talk and someone would listen. Someone cared about me. Soon, after two hot chocolates each, it was time to go. Calyx insisted on paying.
"Why? I owe you" I said, elbowing him not-so-playfully in the ribs.
"You've given me enough. And besides, a guy always pays on the first date right?" he replied, and gave me a signature wink.
Groaning, I walked out, not bothering to hold the creaky door for him. He walked me home, and as I went inside I screamed one last goodbye.
"It's lemon!" I yelled, and he laughed out loud, eyes twinkling.
"Of course it is" he shook his head, and waved goodbye.
____________________
yayyyyyy I updated
so I didn't know if I wanted to continue this but I sat down and the chapter just flowed.
I was like hey who cares about votes and reads and that stuff, write this for yourself! and that's what I'm gonna do :)
comment and vote if you liked!
love
angie