~The Middle~

The middle...

My eye lids fluttered open. It was so bright I had to keep shutting them until they adjusted.

How the hell did I survive that?

I looked around as my surroundings slowly came into focus. I was lying flat on my back in the same position I had fallen into. I looked down at my chest to see no blood and more importantly no gaping bullet sized hole in my chest.

That's when I realised...

My chest wasn't moving up and down in its normal slow steady movements. It wasn't moving at all! I wasn't breathing!

I wasn't breathing!

I sat up.

How could this be possible?

I looked up at the sky, it was so clear with only a few fluffy clouds way out in the distance. I stood up and stared down at my feet. A thick white gas was swirling around my ankles. Weaving around my converse laces. I bent down and picked some up. It curled around my wrists before disappearing up my arm. The white gas only stretched a small distance from under my feet. The rest was just plain sky.

I walked over to the edge of the cloud and kneeled down. I looked over and below. I saw a back alley, it was dark. Dark and silent. Silent apart from a slight buzz of a very dim street light. It was raining...I watched the rain slowly fill a dip in the road. I watched at each droplet bounced in the water and as each ripple caressed over the puddle. Suddenly the street light grew brighter.

Only for a second.

A second was long enough. Long enough to see that the puddle wasn't normal. It wasn't normal and clear. It had traces of red fire swimming through...not mixing.

Blood is thicker than water...

The light returned to its normal dim self with its faint buzz. I followed the stream of red rain water up from the puddle.

A green converse.

A green converse drenched in the rain. A pair of soaking wet, well worn jeans. A grey hoodie. A grey blood stained hoodie. I gasped for air...

To only realise there was none there.

I pulled away from the edge. Still searching for the nonexistent air. I sat kneeling on my feet with the cloud whirling around my legs. I stared at the vast stretches blue sky in front of me, above me and below me.

I hadn't survived!

I hadn't survived! I was still lying down there. I was lying down there in the dark. I was alone, cold and out in the rain. Out in the rain with a gaping hole in the chest.

I was dead... I am dead...

What am I going to do now? I'm dead...I can't be dead! I'm only fifteen! I haven't even left school yet. I haven't even had a proper boyfriend let alone a proper kiss. I'm never going to have a kid. I'm never going to have a husband, never going to get married or have a house. I'm never going to experience life...I'm dead...

Suddenly the cloud began to dissolve under my feat. I stood up quickly as a flush of fear filled me from head to converse.

I was going to fall!

But I'm dead? Can I still hurt? I can still feel...I could still hurt. As I questioned myself I felt the cloud become thin beneath my feet. I shut my eyes and started to fall.

I waited for pain and darkness...

RbBJWQR>3%A