~The Bottom~

The bottom

I woke up. My skin was glistening with sweat. I ran my fingers through my hair, it was soaked from root to tip. I stared at my burnt hand and ran my index finger over each blister fingering the destroyed skin. I looked into a bead of sweat that sat on my forearm. It looked like a replica of that puddle that is on that street. Next to where my dead body is lying. I saw a flame rip through the bead.

I wasn't bleeding was I?

I felt warmth on my back. It wasn't blood this time...it was real fire. I spun around. I was sat in the centre of a ring of fire. What the hell?

Hell.

Maybe that's what this is! Think about it I've just fell from heaven, like I wasn't accepted. I'm not good enough for heaven but surely I wasn't so bad that I deserved hell... I mean the worst thing that I ever did was steel a fiver from my mum's purse so I could buy a new top. I felt so guilty standing in the queue to purchase it that I took the top back and bought mum some chocolates instead, to say sorry.

I stood up still in the centre of a flame circle. Suddenly a trap door opened at my feet. I jumped back just missing another fall by a millimetre. Honestly, I'm already dead you could at least handle me nicely!

Skeletons started to rise up out of the trap door.

They entwined with each over at they crawled out onto the red sandy floor. They spread out in all directions slithering towards the flames. I took a step back, only to get closer to a flame and its crawling skeleton. I stepped forward but the same thing happened. I had to stand on the centre point, an equal distance away from the flames...and the skeletons.

The skeletons stopped moving and slowly turned their heads to face me. I felt like I was being watched...yet they had no eyes, just dark pools of darkness. They started to move again but this time towards me. They had their arms stretched out, it looked as if they were trying to take me. I could go nowhere I was surrounded, quite literally.

I started to panic.

Suddenly I came over all light and happy. I felt myself being lifted up and taken to the sky. A bright light seem to shine out of me and dance around my surroundings. I saw all the skeletons cower away from the glistening light. They scurried back into the dark trap door moaning as they did so. I could hear their bones grinding against each over as the slithered back to their hole. Each beam seemed to hit a flame causing it to splutter and fizzle out. I looked up at the sky as I rose up. I was leaving this hell and was escalating back into the light blue stretches of sky.