Introduction

Astina ==>
I balanced precariously from the branches of an oak tree, watching a few rowdy De Noir clan boys make their way across the Forrest.
Keeping quiet, I swung onto the soft ground and crouched behind a bush to hear what they were saying better.

"Look. We just have to get the stupid Merryweather girl, bring her back, slap her around a bit and demand the pearls. How hard can it be?" One of them smirked cockily.
'Pretty hard if I can help it' I thought.

"I can't wait to see her little reaction when we grab her!" The second one chuckled.
They mumbled a few more things I didn't hear as they walked on.

Silently making my way out from behind the bush I made sure to follow them closely.
The De Noir boys made quite the racket as they stomped through the forrest.
To anyone else they were probably quite quiet, but to me they seemed like a pair of elephants.
I had mastered treading silently when I was very young and I could walk right behind someone without them hearing anything.

The boys made their way across the forrest towards the edge of Moonacre and hid in the bushes a little way away from the gate.

I hid a few bushes away from them and put my mask on. It was only a bit of fabric that covered my nose and mouth but it was enough so that I wouldn't get recognised.
If the De Noir's knew that a Cuyen tribe member was still alive they would throw a little hissy fit.
I could imagine Cour De Noir stamping his fat little foot.
I snapped out of my daydream of an overweight man throwing a tantrum when I heard the sound of a horse and carriage making it's way towards the drawbridge style gate.
I notice the boys nudge each other and prepare to jump out of the bush.

As the coachman fumbled with the keys to the gate they sprang into action.
They each took a side of the shabby carriage and attempted to drag the passengers into the dusty road.

I leapt forwards, grabbing the first thug and ripping him away from an older looking lady. I punched him hard in the jaw, making him stumble to the ground.
I slammed the door shut and using the open window on the carriage I pushed off, doing a handspring on the roof and landing square on the second thugs back. He fell to the ground with a groan and I rolled away.
He quickly jumped back up again. Un-sheathing a dagger from his hip he lunged forwards. Using his momentum I pushes him towards the ground, twisting his wrist and making him drop his dagger. He fell to the ground with a huff, obviously winded from his fall.
Before he could get up again I clambered onto the roof of the creaking carriage as it started to pull away.
The boys scrambled up and began to chase the carriage but had to stop when the gate slammed into the ground.
The second De Noir boy growled in anger as we got further and further away from him.
Sitting cross legged on top of the roof I waved mockingly to him which only fuelled his anger, causing him to let out a colourful stream of curse words directed towards me.
Luckily we were already too far away to hear him.

As we got closer to the manor I prepared to jump. When the carriage reached the path leading straight to the house I leapt and rolled as I made impact, quickly hiding behind the row of trees at the edge of the forrest.
Turning to look back at the carriage I noticed the young girl starring at me intently.
Turning my back on her I walked away into the undergrowth.

The walk back to where I lived was short.
A large tree with roots spilling out from the trunk sat in the middle of a small valley. The valley where my people used to live.
The tree itself was dead, it's trunk scorched and charred, it's branches bare of any leaves.
This tree used to be the centre of life for us. All celebrations were held here and we would dance and sing around a fire here.
Not many people lived in our tribe, maybe a hundred. But we were a family.
I suppressed tears as I thought of my mother, who was always so kind to me.
I could picture her now, her long brown hair was always smooth and beautiful and her tanned skin would always glow, making her green eyes seem all the more radiant.
Shaking these images away I made my way further away from the tree to a hole in the ground. It was quite large but was shielded from view by a dense bush.
Moving around the bush, I crawled into the hole. It wasn't too tight a squeeze but enough to make a person feel cramped.
Soon the tunnel opened out into a larger space with plenty of room to stand.
The room was simple; my bed lay in the corner of the room. It was a pile of comfy leaves and feathers with a soft fur blanket draped over the too. It didn't look very comfy but the fur was incredibly soft.
On the other side of the room was a simple dresser with an old dirty mirror and several trinkets scattered on top. My small collection of clothes was folded neatly in a chest next to the dresser and an array of weapons including knives, pistols and a bow and a quiver full of arrows lay scattered by the side of my bed.
I had stolen most of the stuff I owned from the De Noir's but I felt my actions were justified.

I quickly ate my simple dinner, rabbit stew with bread, before deciding to hit the metaphorical sack.

As my eyes began to close I realised I would have to keep a very close eye on the De Noirs' and the Merryweathers' tomorrow.
Who ever was in that carriage was in danger and I knew just how dirty the De Noirs' would play to get them.