Chapter 8

Maria==>

I managed to kick open the door and help Astina through.
I wasn't used to lifting heavy weights so I struggled a bit.

Luckily we made it inside without her collapsing.

My arm was looped firmly around her waist an I could feel the damp, sticky feeling of her blood against my skin.
I decided not to think about it too much or I would probably gag.

"Maria!" Miss Heliotrope cried out, running over to where I was standing.

My uncle marched over, a look of concern on his face.

"Maria, who is this?" He questioned.

"I'll tell you later. But we need to get her medical attention!" I begged, feeling her go slack in my arms.

"Yes, of course. Digweed, help me carry her to the spare room."
Uncle demanded, removing her from my arms.

The both of them managed to carry an unconscious Astina up several flights of stairs and into the spare room.

"I'll have to dress her wounds. Could you turn her onto her front." Digweed instructed.

Once she had been turned over, her top was lifted and Digweed began to clean her wounds.

There was a thud from beside me and I turned to see Miss Heliotrope lying sprawled on the floor.

Uncle rolled his eyes.
"Maria go and make sure she hasn't given herself concussion."  He said whiles running alcohol along the cuts.

From where I was crouched down on the floor I could see Astina's eyelids begin to open.

It took hours to stitch and dress the wounds, on her front and back but we finally finished the arduous task.

Astina was moved onto the bed and left to sleep off the anaesthetic. I began tidying away the spare bandages and wiping down the area of blood.

"Would you care to tell me who this person is and why you dragged her into this house half dead?" Uncle asked, washing his hands in the nearby sink.

"She's my best friend. I met her in the forest-" I began.

"What did I say about the forest!" Uncle said in a frustrate tone.

I rolled my eyes.
"I know. I'm sorry, believe me that's the last time I'm ever going into that place." I shuddered, remembering that we'd only just made it out alive.

"So what happened?"

I decide to start from the beginning.
"Well I woke up really early in the morning because I'd had a bad dream, so I decide to go for a walk to clear my head. I was walking along near the edge of the forest when someone grabbed me and blindfolded me." I decided a small lie wouldn't hurt him. I'd explained how I'd got to the castle and how Astina had stepped in and rescued me. More or less. I told him how I escaped from the cell I was being kept in and how Astina had dragged us out of the forest before collapsing of blood loss.

Uncle nodded.
"So she saved your life?" He asked.

I nodded enthusiastically.

Uncle seemed to contemplate something inside his head for a few seconds before shrugging.
"I suppose she can stay whilst she recovers."

"Thank you uncle! This means so much to me!" I hugged him tightly.
He hugged back briefly before stiffly nodding and leaving.

I quietly closed the door behind him and turing and sitting on the armchair next to Astina's bed.
She whimpered a bit and I stroked her hair to calm her down. Soon she settled into a deep sleep and began to breathe more evenly.
I stood up and left her, deciding I should dig around in the library to try and find more books on something that could help me find the pearls.
-----------------------
Robins pov==>
I watched as Maria left the room. Father had called off the search as soon as he had heard the girls were back at Merryweather mansion.
I had followed the girls down here
And snuck up onto the balcony when no one was looking.
I had listened to Astina been stitched up and her screams of pain. It had been painful to listen to but it had killed me to know that she was like that because of me. Because I had been a coward. I was blinded by my anger and pride and I had almost killed Astina.

I wasn't sure wether I  loved her but I certainly liked her and she was my friend. I had let her down in a major way.

Carefully unlocking the door I clambered inside and walked swiftly to Astina's side, making sure to keep an eye of the door.

I sat down on the seat Maria had been in a few seconds earlier. Copying her actions, I lightly stroked Astina's hair in an attempt to soothe her.

I sighed, knowing my rambling was pointless, she couldn't hear me and I knew deep down I was just trying to justify my actions.

"I just want you to know how sorry I am, this is twice now I've let you down, because I was an arrogant prat. I am an arrogant prat. But I'll change for you Astina, I make it better, just like when we were kids."
I ran my fingers through her hair one last time before gently kissing her head and turning back towards the door.
Stepping back onto the balcony I quietly shut the door again, shimmying down the drain pipe I snuck into the forrest and began the journey back towards the castle.