Ten

Gerard followed Mikey through the fence gate. Mikey hoped that he knew what he was doing.

He ran up to the door of the house where Ray had been when he'd thrown the brick. He knocked quickly on the door while Gerard carried Lindsey around to the side of the house to hide with her.

Mikey tapped his foot until a woman with curly brown hair came to the door.

"Can I help you?" She looked around nervously. Mikey realized he probably looked pretty scary, showing up at her doorstep like that.

"Hi," he said, as politely as he could. "Is Ray home? I'm from RDH and need some help with some school stuff."

The woman nodded. She stepped aside, allowing Mikey in. "Ray is in his room," she said. "Upstairs, first door on the right."

Mikey quickly thanked her before racing up the steps. He flung open Ray's door and shut it sloppily.

"Mikey?! Did you break in?!"

"No, your mom let me in. Nice lady. Look, I need your help."

Ray stood up from his bed. "What's the matter?"

"Lindsey. The girl from earlier? Cinderella? She's hurt," Mikey explained. "Real bad. A rival gang got her when she was alone, and she needs a doctor."

"Don't you have a doctor over there?"

"Yeah, but the enema bag charges all we got for a fuckin' Band-Aid. She needs an actual doctor. Can you help me?"

Ray sighed. "I don't know, Mikes..."

"Please? Ray, if you don't help her, she'll die. And it'll be slow and painful and we'll get to watch her fade away. And I've done that too many times to see it happen ever again."

Another sigh. "Okay, fine. Why'd you tell my mom you were here?"

"School."

"Okay. Come on."

Mikey followed Ray downstairs. "Mikey left something at his house, so we're going over there!" Ray called. "I'll be home soon!"

He didn't wait for a response before leaving the house. "Where is she?"

Mikey found Gerard and an extremely pale-looking Lindsey sitting with their backs against Ray's house. "Come on," Mikey instructed.

"He's coming with us?" Gerard asked, scooping Lindsey up again.

"He's our only way in."

Gerard nodded, and they took off towards the hospital. Sure enough, there was a guard at the door. He took one look at Ray and stepped aside.

Lindsey was snatched away from Gerard, who protested before Mikey shut him up. "They have to take her from you in here," he hissed. "It isn't like it is back home."

"That's more like a clinic," Ray said quietly. "This is an ER."

Gerard shot Ray a look. "Who told you-"

"Shut up, Gee," Mikey said. "He's helping Lindsey out. Clearly he isn't a total plughole."

Gerard glared at them both before staring Ray down. "Are we supposed to wait here or somethin'?"

Ray nodded. "They'll come out and tell us what needs to happen."

"Are we gonna get to see her?"

"If she's stable."

"How long's it gonna take for them to tell us?"

"I recommend we sit down."

Mikey took a seat in between Ray and his brother. "Hey, where's the bathroom?" Gee asked. Ray pointed down a hallway, and the older Way brother wandered away.