prologue

Disclaimer: I only own Mackenzie Taylor and her storyline, all rights go to the creators of the flash

----

"Hey Mack, did you hear the particle accelerator goes online tonight?" Felicity Smoak asked the brunette, clapping her hands excitedly. "The concept itself is amazing, I mean-"

"-It'll completely change the way we look at science. Flee, I get you're excited about this, but reminding me about it every 5 minutes is starting to get on my nerves. My childhood best friend is apart of the team who created the accelerator, trust me I don't think she'll be letting me forget about it either." Mackenzie smiled softly, shaking her head at a new text message from Caitlin.

C: IT GOES LIVE IN A FEW HOURS!!!!

M: so proud of you xx

"Right, of course. Uh, how about we go out for coffee? We can talk about something else, something completely non-science related." Felicity suggested, collecting her things as she turned expectantly to Mackenzie.

"Sure thing, let me just grab my purse. Heading to The Grind & Jolt?"

"Yep and while we are there you can fill me in on your date last night."

"Oh, it wasn't very interesting. We went out for dinner and I told him he was getting way too attached and I thought it was best to end things." Mackenzie shrugged, recalling Jackson's heartbroken reaction with a slight grimace.

"Oh, but I liked Jackson! You've been dating for a while, it's understandable why he was getting attached."

"He was a tool, Flee, you only liked him for his hair. We were never exclusive anyway, he shouldn't have been so clingy."

"You never fail to amaze me, Mack and not always in a good way. Is there even a heart inside that gorgeous body of yours?" Felicity questioned, raising her eyebrows as the two girls left Mackenzie's apartment, both blissfully unaware of what the next few hours would bring.

-

"I like the sad eyes, bad guys

Mouth full of white lies

Kiss me in the corridor,

But quick to tell me goodbye-"

"Hello?"Mackenzie answered groggily, hastily cutting off her ringtone which woke her up.

"Hey, Mack. It's Caitlin."

"What's up, Cait?"

"The accelerator, it-it exploded. It killed and injured so many people, Mackenzie, R-R-R-R-Ron-n-nie died. I-I just d-d-don't know what to d-d-do. I-"

"Hey, shhh. It's okay, it's alright. I've been thinking of moving for a while now, why don't I come stay with you for a bit? I can even help out at the lab if you need. I know this sucks, it really, really sucks and I'm so sorry this has happened, Cait. I love you so much and I promise I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thank you." Caitlin mumbled back through the phone, her broken tone breaking Mackenzie's heart for the very first time and without a second of hesitation, she packed up all her belongings and headed for Central City, leaving behind a life she once would have killed for..

a/n: mack's ringtone is 'Ghost' by Halsey :)
here is the first installment of 'Heart Breaker', please please let me know what you think and also please vote and comment. thanks guys, love you!