chapter 12

Mack could tell that Barry was quickly growing frustrated at the lack of evidence they were able to uncover that could possibly prove the existence of another speedster. With a loud groan, Barry threw his head in his hands after sweeping the desk clear, articles and random findings floating onto the floor.

"I'm sorry, Mack." Barry whispered, shaking his head without looking up. "I don't want you to think I'm just wasting your time.. I was so sure.. I just- I just don't know."

"Hey, don't say you're sorry. I know you're not wasting my time, I wholeheartedly believe you, Barry. I know this is hard and it feels like we're just going in circles not achieving anything, but I'm not giving up. I'm not giving up on your father or on you." Mack assured him, pulling his hands from his face. "We're going to do this, I know it. There is someone out there and we need to stop them, so I'm going to go get us a coffee each and some sour patch kids and then we are going to keep working on getting to the bottom of this, okay?"

"I'm so lucky to have you in my life, have I told you that before? Thank you, Mack, honestly."

"You and everyone else I grace with my presence," Mack joked, winking as she stood up. "Don't sweat it, Allen, I'm sure you'd do the same for me."

"In a flash."

"Oh my god, you're a loser." She laughed, grateful Barry didn't continue with the sappy stuff. Mack was never big on long sweet declarations, her parents were, but she didn't like to be reminded of them.

"A loser you love to be around."

"Love is a little excessive."

"You know, I really don't think it is." Barry replied, the two staring into each others eyes during the silence that followed. Barry slowly stood up and moved towards Mack, Mack immediately breaking eye contact when she realised where this was heading. With a cough, she stepped back causing Barry to halt. Barry had made it clear he didn't want to be one of her 'boy toys' and she knew that if she let herself do anything with Barry she'd melt and then she'd end up hurt. She didn't need to add a broken heart to her sad life.

"You should clean this up while I'm gone." She suggested, gesturing to the papers that Barry had sent flying earlier.

"Oh, uh yeah, sure."

"Cool, I'll be back soon." Mack smiled, leaving Barry's office before he had the chance to stutter out an awkward goodbye. Once she was out of earshot, Mack leaned against the wall and sighed, this boy was going to be the death of her.

Feeling safe knowing that Multiplex was gone, she took her time walking to the nearest 7/11. First thing's first, they needed sugar patch kids and Mack couldn't be bothered walking to the supermarket for them. As she was searching for her lollies of choice, it dawned on Mack that Jitters would be closed. Knowing 7/11 wasn't known for their delicious coffee, Mack hesitated before buying a small tin of coffee, a carton of milk, a packet of sugar and of course the sour patch kids.

The walk back was quiet and Mack was left with her thoughts nagging at her. Barry was undeniably cute, he cared about her and he made her happy, maybe kissing him wouldn't be such a bad idea? It mightn't even lead to anything, Mack reminded herself, but if it did, she wouldn't be mad. The moment had passed though, she can't just walk in and attack his face, maybe it was best nothing happened? At least this way no one would end up hurt.

"Oh thank God, Mack! I was getting worried, what took you so long?" Barry asked, interrupting her thoughts as she became aware of her surroundings. She was back in Barry's office, he had obviously tidied it as she asked and the awkwardness that hung in the air before she left had melted away.

"Sorry, in my own little world I guess." Mack apologised, offering a small smile and she pulled her purchases out of the 7/11 bag. Jitters isn't open at 11pm so I got milk, sugar and a tin of coffee in the hopes that you have mugs?"

"I don't, but there will be some in the kitchen downstairs. There is probably coffee down there too actually. You stay here, I'll go make the drinks." Barry said, leaving the room as a streak.

While Barry was downstairs, Mack sat by the window and watched out. Just as she was about to turn away and look at more files, a yellow streak dashing down the street caught her eye and she was frozen in fear as it ran up the building towards her. She blinked and the figure disappeared, causing her to believe it had been a trick of the light, but as she turned there was a piece of paper on the table which wasn't there before. Cautiously, Mack approached the sheet and examined it. In large, red letters were the words, 'STAY OUT OF IT'.

Mack tried to call out to Barry, but her mouth was clamped shut so tightly in fear that she couldn't even whisper. All she could do was stare at the piece of paper and wonder if the red ink was dried blood. The very thought made her feel sick, but at least she knew it was real. There is another speedster in Central City and they've been keeping tabs on Barry, possibly even Mack.

As soon as Barry walked in, he knew something was wrong. Mack was sickly pale and so still that he briefly questioned whether she was still breathing.

"Mack? Hey, what's wrong?" He asked, rushing over to her after setting down the hot coffees. In response, the pretty brunette merely shook her head, the look of fear clear on her face. "Mack, come on, talk to me."

Instead of replying, Mack simply handed him the piece of paper that was left by the other speedster, waiting for him to click on.

"Was this from the other speedster? Did you see him? Oh, Mack he didn't hurt you did he?" Barry questioned, pulling her into his arms and stroking her hair as he noticed tears welling up in her eyes. "Shhh, hey it's going to be okay. You're okay, we're fine. I'll protect you, always."

The only thing Mack uttered back, so quiet that it was barely audible, was , "please don't make promises you cannot keep," and with that, she finally realised what a screwed up world it was that she lived in.

a/n: dedication to theauthorawards to enter in the writing games ☺️