chapter 6

It was supposed to be a short walk from the lab to her apartment, but it didn't take long for the feeling that someone was following her to settle over Mackenzie. She'd practically been walking in circles, to afraid to go home in case someone actually was following her and then knew where she lived. Which caused her to earn some strange looks from people wondering why she kept walking past. One thing she knew was to stay in public places, surely no one would kill her in a room full of witnesses.

"Miss Taylor, now what could be causing you to look so frightened?" Mr Wells asked, concern etched across his face as he wheeled out of a café that Mack was walking past.

"Oh, Mr Wells! I'm so glad to see you!" Mack sighed, relief clear on her face. "This will sound crazy, but I saw a meta human in an alley and I think they've been following me since. I know it's silly, but I've been too scared to go home just in case I was right." Mack explained, trying her best to sound perfectly fine and not too fazed by the situation.

"Good thinking, why don't I accompany you back to the labs? You should be safe there for the meantime." Dr Wells suggested, glancing behind her. "What did he look like?"

"That's be great, thank you, Dr Wells. Um, he was wearing all black and could duplicate himself, I have a few photos I could show you once we're at the lab?"

"I think you were right, there's a man watching us and he has been watching you the whole time I've been here. We'd better get going." He said, dropping his voice low so he wouldn't be overheard. With a quick nod in response, Mack gladly kept moving. The two did a lap around the block then headed back to STAR Labs, to avoid passing the meta human.

It seemed that they lost him about halfway, the man feeling unsure about approaching the girl with Harrison Wells by her side, yet to be sure, Mackenzie continued to the lab with Dr Wells. She called Cisco on the way back to inform them of what had happened and sent him the photos she took, Dr Wells constantly asking if she was okay the whole way back.

"I really appreciate it, Dr Wells, but I promise you I'm fine. I'm a little shaken up, sure, but I'll get over it. It's okay, I'm okay." She told him for about the millionth time just as they reached the lab.

"Then tell me, Mackenzie, why does it sound as though you're trying to convince yourself of that, not me?" He questioned, raising an eyebrow at Mack who gave him a stunned look back.

"I-"

"It's okay to be afraid, Mack, it doesn't make you weak. I won't think any less of you if you tell me you're still scared, it will stay between you and I."

"Since my parents died, I don't think I've ever not been scared." Mack whispered, half hoping that Dr Wells didn't hear a single word she uttered.

"And you're still one of the bravest girls I've had the pleasure of knowing." he said, smiling at Mack in a comforting way. "You, my dear, are like a daughter to me and I promise, I'll do my utmost best to keep you safe. You'll be okay, Mackenzie, no matter what; you'll be okay."

"Thank you." Mack smiled back, leaning down to hug Dr Wells. "I'm glad to have you on my side."

"Always." the older man nodded, the silence that followed being more than comfortable.

-

Mack was pretty quiet inside the lab and excused herself almost as soon as she'd finished explaining what she saw and what had happened. She decided to mess around with some of Cisco's creations, maybe even bring one of his blueprints to life.

After flicking through various sketches and plans, Mack found herself drawn back to their suit and began evaluating it. Overall it was an incredible creation, perhaps even Cisco and Mack's best invention. The chances of the friction setting the suit on fire were practically 0.01%, no matter the speed Barry reached and the material was not only breathable, but made running easier and possibly could even help Barry improve his speed.

She noticed earlier on that Barry's mic wasn't so clear and quickly set to work fixing that up. Mack easily lost track of time as she proceeded to make even more improvements to the suit, Barry's voice startling her.

"Hey, woah.. Have you been working on my suit?"

"Correction, my suit and yeah. I just figure that the more I work on it, the safer you'll be." Mack shrugged, not bothering to look back at Barry as she continued to work.

"Right, sorry, your suit." Barry corrected, amusement clear in his tone, "and thanks, I really appreciate all the work you do for me."

"Not a problem, can I help you with anything?"

"Uh, I was actually wondering if your offer was still standing?"

"Yeah, of course. Although, I thought we had already established I'd help you find the real killer?" Mack replied, screwing her face up in confusion. They'd been through it a million times already, surely he didn't really expect her to back out.

"No, I know that. I was referring to when you asked me out tonight?" Barry awkwardly reminded her, causing Mack to spin around to face him so fast she thought she'd get whiplash.

"I thought you didn't want to be one of my 'boy toys'?" Mack challenged, smirking at the slightly uncomfortable Barry Allen in front of her.

"I don't, but you could use some fun and we can go out without hooking up, right? We could go to a karaoke bar or play bingo, I don't really know, but I want to show you that you can have fun without getting overly drunk and making out with a guy who you don't even like."

"Caitlin put you up to this, didn't she?" Mack demanded, placing a hand on her hip and raising her eyebrow.

"Oh, definitely." Barry laughed, "but that doesn't mean I don't want to, I owe you and from what I've heard, you're quite the party girl. I want to show you that a good time doesn't always consist of getting wasted with just some guy."

"But you're technically just some guy."

"Who isn't taking you out to get drunk; Barry Allen- point one, Other Losers Mack Dates- nill."

"Oh, so this is a date?"

"Yes! Wait, no- just, uh- maybe, probably not though." Barry rambled, the uncomfortable look settling over his face once again.

"Rightio, Allen. Pick me up at 8, I'll go get ready."

"Mack, it's 7:45."

"Okay, new plan. Walk me home so I can get changed and then let's go play bingo or whatever you had in mind?" Mack suggested, laughing a little at the bingo idea.

"That sounds perfect." Barry grinned back, unsure of whether he was beginning to feel something for Mack or if the butterflies she gave him were just the feeling that Mack instilled in everyone. Either way, he was quickly becoming addicted.