chapter 3

*a/n: early update because I'm annoyed and feeling crappy so sharing this with you guys will make me feel better. yes, you'll still get a new chapter tomorrow as well*

"Looking good, Mack." Cisco greeted, grinning at his best friend as she got into his car.

"Thanks , Cisco. I thought I had better look nice for a night out with you." She replied, easily laughing off her shameless flirtation. Cisco and Mack were a friend match made in heaven; the two were both fun and got a kick out of flirting with each other despite no romantic feelings ever being shared between them. Their friendship wasn't for serious things, their friendship was light-hearted and good distraction to cheer you up when everything seems to be going wrong and it had been like that ever since Mack arrived in Central City. Yet if anyone ever hurt either of them, the other would inflict a world of pain upon the person responsible for the pain without a moments hesitation.

"So why did tonight's meatball ditch?" Cisco asked, driving down the main street.

"Something came up apparently, but whatever, he was only a bit of fun. I'm hardly heart broken over it and now I get to enjoy an incredible night with you that I probably won't even remember."

"True, which leads to my next question, how did the fabulous Mackenzie Taylor end up like this? A different date every night, treating guys like they're disposable; Caitlin said you were never like that until you left for Starling."

"Eventually after losing so many times, you learn how to play the game. I haven't cried nor have I been hurt in years and that's because I learned that in this world it's hurt or be hurt and I'm so over being the sad little girl that everybody pities. I reinvented myself in Starling and I've never looked back. No one has ever made me want to." Mack answered, her tone strong.

In that moment Cisco realised he never could imagine her as a sad, weak little girl. It just wasn't the Mack he knew and loved, she was tough, brave and strong-willed. Never scared and never upset, but after what she had just told him, for the first time Cisco wondered if it was all just an act. If she was still hurting, broken and just a little too sweet to be taken seriously underneath the new persona she had created. He also knew that he might never really know for sure.

"I'm sorry to hear you've been through so much, Mack. It's pretty safe to say no one pities you anymore though."

"You're not wrong. Now, recalling all that has made me feel crappy all over again, so shall we go get wasted?"

"Absolutely."

The next morning Mackenzie awoke with a pounding head, quickly finding a glass of water and some Advil on her bedside table that Caitlin must have gotten for her before she left for work. She was still in last night's outfit and she knew last night was a total blast. Cisco and her danced (rather awkwardly on his part) for hours and every joke he told was hilarious. Caitlin had already locked up the apartment so the two broke in and Mack vaguely remembered herself and Cisco setting a bucket of water up on top of Caitlin's door that would supposedly fall when she opened it and drench her, but the fact that she had gotten Advil and water for Mack when she woke up, was a pretty good indicator that it didn't go to plan.

Smiling to herself, she decided that she should go shower and attempt to scrub of last night's make up before calling Cisco and thanking him for last night, knowing that a drunk Mack could be hard to handle at times.

--

"Hello?" Cisco grumbled into the phone, causing Mack to laugh at the realisation that he was way worse than her.

"Hey, Cisco. I just wanted to call and thank you for last night, I had heaps of fun!" Mack chirped, flicking through a magazine as they spoke.

"How do you even remember we had fun? I swear, you could've attempted to murder me last night and I'd have no idea today."