chapter 5

Mack left Barry's lab the previous night with a lot more questions than answers. It seemed that they were looking for a reverse-Barry and with the amount of evidence that the police had pinning Mr Allen as the murderer, they were going to need a confession to get him released. So how do you get a confession from a man who is seemingly impossible?

Mack had been making a collection of her own notes from the evidence and connections she thought could be there and the first realisation she made was that if the person was just like Barry, they'd walk around day to day just like a normal person. Besides Nora Allen's murder, nothing else like what Barry described had been reported, which made it hard to start making a list of suspects. They knew nothing about this person, just that they were superhuman.

Mackenzie's next thought was that they obviously had an issue with Mrs Allen, yet from what she had found and read, Nora Allen seemed to be a lovely lady with no known enemies. So maybe the real killer was out to get Barry's dad instead? But that didn't really add up either and with Barry only being young, she found it hard to think someone was out to get him. So if the killer presumably had no problems with any of the Allens, why and how did Nora Allen end up dead on the floor?

The loud sound of the doorbell pulled Mack from her thoughts, the brunette suddenly sitting up straight and alert.

"It's for you, Mack!" Caitlin called out, Mack letting out a little groan in response before forcing herself up. Before walking out of her room she checked over her outfit and made sure she looked presentable and not like she'd got a total of 3 hours sleep.

"Hi, Mark?" Mack said as she spotted a very attractive and familiar looking man at the door.

"It's Matt." He replied with an awkward chuckle. Mentally face palming herself, Mack could practically see Caitlin cringing behind her.

"Right, of course. I'm so sorry, I've just got a bit on my mind right now. So, um what brings you by?"

"I thought we could reschedule our date and that you'd have a harder time turning me down if it was in person." Matt explained, giving Mack a sheepish grin to which she smirked at.

"Mm, and what did you have in mind for our date?"

"Mini golf?"

"I don't golf, sorry Matt." Mack deadpanned, almost scoffing at the fact he thought she wouldn't turn him down face to face.

"Oh, um, yeah, I guess." He mumbled back, "I should get going, I'll, uh, I'll see you around, Mackenzie." Matt added before turning and leaving, a surprised and slightly hurt look clear on his face.

"You are a total cow." Caitlin told Mack as she closed the door. "An absolute cow, Mack, that poor guy!"

"Oh don't get all high and mighty on me, Cait, he has a girlfriend."

"Why did you agree to go out with him in the first place then?" Caitlin questioned, making it obvious she didn't believe her friend.

"Because I was bored and he was there. He has been pestering me for ages and I guess I just caved, when he has a face like that though, caving isn't too hard. Here, check his Facebook, his girlfriend is plastered all over it." Mack showed Caitlin, handing her her phone with Matt's profile brought up on it.

"What a jerk." Caitlin muttered, scrolling down his profile.

"Mmhm."

"Why do you always attract boys that are bad for you? You're a great girl, Mack, why don't you try seriously dating?" Caitlin suggested, sitting her friend down. Mack rolled her eyes as she sat down opposite Cait, knowing very well what speech she was going to get next.