Chapter 4

We managed to arrive at my house unharmed. It seemed empty and quiet so I called out for Rafael a few times to check if he was in the house.

He came bounding down the stairs, a huge smile plastered on his little face. However, as soon as he saw Chris, his happy expression turned into confusion.

"Mommy, who's this?" Rafael asked warily.

"This is my er...friend, Chris," I said, even though I was a bit unsure myself as to what he was to me.

"Hey there little fella," Chris crouched down to Rafael's height and stuck out his hand so that Rafael can shake it.

Raf, however, stared blankly at Chris and kept his hands at his sides.

After an awkward few seconds, Chris realised that Rafael was not budging and so got up and returned to standing next to me.

"I thought you said he knew who I was," he whispered sidewards at me.

"Well...he knows a Captain America," I began, "But he doesn't know that you're the actor."

Chris sighed and nodded in acknowledgement.

"Do you want to come and play with me in my room?" Rafael finally managed to be nice. Chris chuckled quietly and followed Raf up the long winding stairs.

"I'll talk to you later," he mouthed to me when he was halfway up the stairs. I nodded back at him and headed to the kitchen to make some snacks.

I poured some lemonade and made some chilli chips. I was halfway through cutting up some cucumbers for the sandwiches when there was a loud rumbling noise coming from the other side of the open kitchen room. I turned around to find Rafael hurtling down the stairs squealing with delight as Chris chased him, making weird whale noises.

"Mommy I want some chips please," Rafael lisped through his teeth that are yet to grow. Chris stopped next to him trying to catch his breath from the chasing. I gave Rafael a little bowl full of chilli chips and told him to play upstairs while Chris eats. I wanted adult time alone with him.

"May I ask what those noises were?" I smirked as I grabbed some of the food and carried it to the coffee table. He followed me as he helped to carry the remaining food.

We both collapsed on the couch with exhaustion.

"What noises?" He asked innocently.

"You know. The ones that sounded like a whale going into labour."

"Oh...that-that was supposed to sound like a tiger," he hung his head as he tried to hold in a laugh.

"Well that was amazing," I burst into laughter as my voice rang out throughout the whole house. He finally let out his laugh and we were both crying tears of joy.

"I haven't laughed like that in ages," I said as I wiped a final tear.

"Yeah same," he replied between faded laughter. We waited until we fully calmed down before he said," So I see your son is a football fanatic."

"Oh my god you're the first American who said 'football' instead of 'soccer'. The world is being good to me."

"Well, I mean I would've said 'soccer' but I didn't think you would've understood me since you're Brazilian and all and you guys are obsessed with it."

"That's definitely true and I think that's why my son is obsessed with it because he'd probably feel that he betrayed his roots...or he's probably scared that I might murder him if he likes any other sports beside football."

"Woah...but he's like 5 years old."

"Chris, I was joking. Calm down."

"Oh I see." He paused, "He likes Messi, huh? I'm guessing you forced him down Rafael's throat as well?"