Chapter 19

"There he is, Thirty-Eight passing successfully to Twenty-Two right at the twenty yard line!"

"This here is no surprise, another interception by the Brown Bears!"

"With ten seconds left in the game, there is no possible way the Raiders can make a come back. This grants the Bears a large possibility to compete at their first Championship game in over a decade!"

The game was ours.

All night I had been watching and waiting for something to happen that would change that outcome, but nothing ever did. I could easily admit I was used to life disappointing me. For some reason this was different and the result I wished for was coming true. Adam was amazing at what he did. His energy alone had brought the win and I knew that Adam wouldn't disappoint the ones he loved. Sure he was the star quarterback but he was also the optimist and leader in the game. Not even my unfortunate luck could alter that.

His joy and triumph was evident as the last quarter came to an end. I watched as his entire team tried to hold back the victorious feeling until the buzzer finally went off and time ran out. With only twelve seconds left in the game, it wouldn't be long. Due to that, I didn't watch the final play but instead the scoreboard. I wanted to know exactly when this night would finally begin.

Twelve seconds left.

11...

Although I didn't realize it, Adam had just called the play into action. His voice echoed across the field; loud, firm and distinct.

10...

The team dispersed as Adam stepped back to analyze his teammate's positions.

9... 8...

Within two seconds Adam throws the ball to his number one receiver of the night. This time my eyes find his body as his fingertips release the ball and his gaze focuses on his teammate.

7...

Adam is yearning for one last touchdown, just to prove himself even further to those who surround him. I recognize this from one hundred feet away.

6...

The receiver catches the ball. It slides and grips inside of the player's hand with confidence and security. I shout to Adam in victory.

5... 4...

The receiver is running really fast. He's number 19... half of 38. That simple math is completed quickly in my head. His receiver is part of him and I yearn for this part to complete him. To complete Adam's night.

3...

My voice is heard now and Jake looks at me in utter disbelief and shock. His arm wraps around my shoulder as his opposite hand creates a chanting fist in the air. He loves the game. He loves Adam; I love Adam.

2...

Without being used in a long while my voice hurts. It doesn't stop me from screaming. No words. Just sound. I wasn't that far along. But the excitement for Adam had overcome me. I was in love.

1...

Touchdown. I realized that I was in love.

***********

It was a beautiful victory, the game and the realization. I wished at that moment I could have run down the stands and into the football field, but instead Adam rejoiced with his team. There was laughter and joy, and I wasn't angry because I knew that this victory was something he had to share with them. It was his team's victory, not ours.