The 34th Floor - Chapter 14 - Cade

Author's Note:

Finally the moment you have all been waiting for. A lot of romance in this chapter, but then let the person's point of view fool who it is between. I am sorry if this chapter is a bit confusing. It is hard to explain something that is better off being part of a movie scene. It was hard enough describe the Braille System, but now with them solving the code. Anyways, I just want to apologize for making you wait like four or five days, but I had not been home for the weekend. I hate proof-reading, but I did do it this time. Found a lot of mistakes and I fixed them, but I am sure there are still many errors.

Hope you enjoy it and thank you to everyone who reads, comments, and votes. I appreciate it if you do not know already! [=

The 34th Floor

Chapter 14:

Cade

So I admit that it was wrong for Rachel and I to be engaged in our own little world, leaving the mystery to be solved by Noah and Grace, but we couldn’t resist. I also understood that it wasn’t right liking Rachel as much as I did because if I don’t get out alive or if she doesn’t get out alive, then the both of us would be torn apart if this penthouse didn’t do it itself. However, the only thing I could focus on at this moment was Rachel’s mesmerizing touch, and although it was wrong, it felt almost right.

“Yeah, well, Noah, the solution to this code is not THAD so quit saying that whatever I do, I will get the same results.” Frustration lined Grace’s face as I found her fingers curling inwards to make a fist. The two had been non-stop arguing for the past five minutes.

“I can read the Braille System as well as you can so don’t think I’m completely wrong when I came up with the word THAD.”

“Who in the hell writes the word THAD across the wall as a code!?”

“Apparently the guy who created this,” Noah bit back.

“There is more to this code then just that, but we’re not looking at it deeply enough.”

Grace turned around, not waiting for Noah’s response, to try reading the symbols on the wall. She kept her eyes tightly shut as she slowly moved down the wall. The bumpy dots were evenly organized and set apart.

Suddenly, her eyes threw open. It was as if a light-bulb had gone off over her head.  I noticed that not even Noah, who seemed frustrated with her, did not miss the way Grace’s face shone brightly. “In the Braille System, the first ten numbers are represented by the first ten letters of the alphabet.”

“Which means that letter ‘A’ and number ‘1’ share the same Braille Code,” Grace further explained.

She ran her hands up and down the wall again, announcing each number as she went.

“8.”

“T, because there are no numbers represented by this letter.”

“4.”

“1.”

“Well, 8T41 doesn’t make any more sense than THAD,” Noah growled, most likely mad because Grace had found out about numbers being represented with the same symbol as letters.

“Maybe its half numbers and half letters,” I suggested.

“That’s a good idea!” Grace exclaimed.

“So, let’s keep ‘1’ and ‘4’ while changing ‘8’ to a letter since ‘T’ cannot be changed into a number.”

“It looks as if we are reading it backwards because the word or number is suppose to be read from left to right, but I obviously just announced it right to left,” Grace explained, completely confusing the rest of us, but that didn’t really seem to matter. As I thought more about it, I understood what she was saying a little bit better. Whoever had wrote the number on the wall meant to have it read from left to right because we had appeared from the door, we involuntarily started to read it right to left.