The 34th Floor - Chapter 22 - Cade

Author's Note:

Please comment, vote, and read. I'd appreciate it if more people could give me some more feedback about this story. I promise it'll get scarier. In fact, although it's my fail attempt to make the story spooky, things do get a bit scary in the next chapter. Please, please don't be afraid to at least vote. I apologize if its not that good and I try adding as much detail as I can, but to describe in words to have you understand is beyond me sometimes.

This chapter was originally suppose to be Chapter 21, but I was forced to problem-solve so I hope this isn't too much of a sudden setting and time change.

Vote. Comment. Read.

The 34th Floor

Chapter 22:

Cade

The four of us were awkwardly standing in the same place for the past five minutes. Rachel, perched on one of the large rocks, was glaring daggers at her chipping nail polish while I was simply kicking some of the smaller rocks around in hopes of hiding my utter boredom. Noah and Grace were continuing with their staring contest which had commenced right as Grace had appeared out from the locked room.

“Can you love-birds stare at each other some other day? Some of us would actually like to get a move on,” Rachel complained, continuing to pick at the skin surrounding her nails.

“Right, but where exactly are we suppose to go?” Grace asked, in the same tone she had somehow been using since she had gained conscious.

“Oh, right, you don’t even remember where you are so I guess we could just start walking from where we came from to save this worthless girl,” Rachel rudely suggested as she stood up from her place on the rock and dusted off her skirt.

I watched in sympathy as Grace simply rolled her eyes and rubbed the upper portion of her arm. She turned her face and let her eyes roam around to view her surroundings in hopes of hiding the tears that threatened to spill. I knew this because when I was little and I was afraid of being called weak by my parents, I always attempted to hide my tears by furiously moving around my eyes.

“Why don’t we just climb up through the roof?” Grace questioned, pointing up at the ceiling where a large gap had been created from the damaged elevator-like room.

“Because it’s potentially dangerous,” Rachel stated.

“So is the entirety of this house so might as well live a little and take a risk.” A mischievous smile crossed Grace’s face as she continued to stare up at the ceiling. 

“Do what you want, but I’m not about to be hanging loose from a ceiling,” Rachel snootily said, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I’d like to think that either you’re plain scared or you’re afraid you’re going to look like an even bigger whore when your skirt rises up two inches,” Grace says before looking towards me for the first time and smiling.

“You think it’s a good idea, Cade?” Grace asked, surprising me momentarily.

I cleared my throat. “We do have to reach the next floor so I guess it’s easier and sufficient.”

“Exactly-“

Noah interrupted Grace before she could full finish what she was saying. “How did you know his name?”

Everyone immediately whipped their head towards Grace, who had gone completely stiff. Her bright blue eyes had darkened in which panic and fear were colliding. She gulped, attempting to calm her paling face.