The 34th Floor - Chapter 16 - Noah

Author's Note:

Hello there! I would like to thank everyone especially the few new people who are starting to read my story. Although I hate addressing your as "the few new people," I would like to say that without you this story would be going nowhere. I really appreciate all the votes I have received, the lovely comments you have posted, the simple idea of you adding my story to your libary, and taking the time to read this book. You all are wonderful people and I am very thankful for this.

Please do continue to vote, comment, and read. Reading is the most important to me at this moment and of course, I would love to have you vote and give me feedback. [=

Without a further adieu, here is Chapter 16 of The 34th Floor!

The 34th Floor

Chapter 16:

Noah

I tugged at my hair, pulling on the fringes as if doing that would help me calm down. I yanked at the long strands of hair that were threatening to cover my eyes. Whenever I was angry, frustrated, or nervous, I always played with my hair. At this moment, seeing Grace’s limp body in my lap, made my blood boil. She looked so weak, vulnerable, and defenseless that I all I wanted to do was hug her closely to my body, but I knew even doing that wouldn’t bring her back to consciousness.

“Why won’t you wake up, Grace?” I cried out, shaking her as if she could hear me.

“Is it because I failed to save you in time that you are gone?”

As I pleaded and begged, I could tell from my peripheral view that Cade and Rachel were silently standing, heads bowed down.

“If I had known you had arachnophobia, I wouldn’t have let you suffer alone like that.”

“I was blind. You seemed fine at first, up on your feet, looking strong, but the minute I turned around, you were on the floor, suffering.”

I couldn’t believe how fragile I myself looked in front of Rachel and Cade, but it seemed like that all that didn’t matter. I was at the brinks of letting a free fall of tears to flow down my face, but I held it back. I looked down at her motionless body. Her face was so pale like the bleach white hospital sheets. Her lips weren’t a lively shade of red or pink anymore. Her hair was sprawled out beneath her and partially over her forehead. I slowly parted her hair, fixing it as I had done many times with my sister, Kaylee’s hair. She would jump around the house, bouncing from bed to couches. My mother and father were always engaged in their battles, yelling and shouting, that I would have to dress up little Kaylee, fix her hair, and even sometimes bathe her.

“Noah, it’s like with Sarah all over again. We can’t do much,” Cade said, pulling me out of my thoughts.

“You can’t stay here the entire time, watching her as you grow old. We need to get out of here,” Rachel added.

“Are you telling me that she is…she is dead?! Are you telling me to walk away, leaving her like this?!” I shouted, my voice so loud that I watched the two of them flinch.

Cade and Rachel did not say anything as a booming sound filled the air. The floor started to shake. The doorknobs and hinges of the two doors started to rattle. It was as if an earthquake had begun.

“Are the spiders making this much commotion?” Rachel asked, fear lacing her voice.

“I don’t mind, but we’re going to have to run if we don’t want to be part of this!” Cade shouted over the increasing noise. The entire place was shaking wildly. The three of us had grabbed a hold of something nearby just to support our weight.