Chapter 12

Stiles and Derek followed behind Liam as he lead the two of them into the kitchen. They passed a pair of girls who were seemingly having an intimate moment.

The taller one with brown hair had one hand on the wall next to the short, Asian one's head and her other hand was pushing a black strand of hair from the others eyes.

"Ugh," Liam groaned. "You two are gross. Satomi said no making out in the kitchen."

The taller girl turned around, snarling, "That doesn't stop you and Brett."

Liam made a face at the back of her head when she turned away. Stiles and Derek looked at each other, both slightly confused.

"That's Malia and Kira, they're gross." Liam said.

Stiles smiled slightly. "Is the taller one,"

"Malia."

"You're sister?" he asked.

"Basically." Liam replied. "I mean, we all live together. There's seven of us. Me, Brett, Malia, Kira, Bela, Satomi, and her mate, John. Brett and Bela are actual siblings, but the rest of us aren't actually related. Family doesn't end in blood."

Derek turned to Stiles. "Packs always live together. Bonding creates trust and trust creates a good pack." he explained. "Before the fire, I lived with all my aunts and uncles and cousins."

"Does that mean I'll have to live with you forever?" Stiles made a face.

Derek laughed. "Yes."

Stiles' face dropped. "Oh my god, will I have to take care of their kids?"

Derek laughed harder. "No, they'll take care of their own kids."

Liam lead them to a red door at the back of the kitchen.

"The house is big, it was made to accommodate multiple families and as long as no one else becomes pack, we should be able to fit everyone and their kids." Derek said.

Liam knocked on the red door.

"Open up." came a soft voice from inside.

Liam opened the door and poked his head in. "The Alphas from the Hale Pack are here to talk to you two."

Stiles shuffled unconsciously closer to Derek.

"Let them in." the voice replied.

Liam moved away letting the two of them in. "I'll be at the front with Brett." he told his alpha.

She nodded and turned to Stiles and Derek. She smiled. She was a small Asian woman and next to her was a smaller caucasian man. She motioned to chairs that were in front of the desk the two of them sat at. "Sit."

They sat.

"I'm guessing you're here to discuss friendship?" the man asked, John, probably.

Derek nodded. "I'm new at this," he looked at Stiles. "We're both new at this and I'm not sure how to discuss it. I'm not sure how to do anything, to be honest. I wasn't supposed to be the alpha. Laura was."

Satomi smiled wider. "You don't remember me."

He made a confused face.

"My pack is already friends with the Hale pack. We always have been." she said.

Derek looked at Stiles, who shook his head.

"You two haven't been together long, have you?" John asked.

"We're not - " Stiles stopped. Were they? They almost kissed just a few minutes ago, that had to mean something. "No, we haven't. We just found out I was his mate yesterday."

Had it only been a day? It had felt like it had been so long. This felt like the only thing they've ever known.

"I knew your mom." Satomi said. Stiles felt like they were having two conversations at once. One with Satomi and one with John. "I used to come over sometimes."

"It gets easier." John said, looking directly at Stiles. "It seems crazy and impossible and a little exciting right now, but it gets easier. It becomes second nature to take care of them all."

"Were you the one who brought the weird juice?" Derek asked.

Satomi laughed. "Yes, I was." Satomi and John looked at each other. "We have to close the diner up and take the pups home, but it was nice talking."

Derek and Stiles nodded. They got up and Derek opened the door for Stiles.

"That was the weirdest conversation I have ever had." Stiles said once they got into the car.

Derek looked at him. "You're telling me."

"It was like," he looked over at Derek. "He was talking to me and she was talking to you but they were kind of talking to each other and that was weird."

They were quite. Stiles could hear Derek breathe in and out and in and out and.

"Are we going to talk about it?" Stiles asked.

Derek bit his lip and turned away. "If you want to, but we don't have to."

"If you don't want to we don't have to, but," Stiles shifted. "I'm not sure if it's because I found out we're literal soul mates or maybe I've felt like this forever and I repressed it or whatever it is, but I like you." he took a breath. "I've always thought you were attractive, I mean, who doesn't? But it's different. I can talk to you and it's easy and I should feel weird spilling my heart out but I feel okay and all I'm worried about is if you're okay with it. I don't kiss on first dates - well, I've never been on a first date but I don't think I'd usually kiss on a first date - but I would with you, because this feels right. It should, right? We're soul mates so being with you should feel right and it does." Stiles stopped, looking away.

"You could keep going, couldn't you?" Derek smiled.

"I could probably word vomit for the next three hours." Stiles smiled, turning back.

"I would listen."

"Of course you would." Stiles smiled wider.

"I always listen and I always will listen, but I'd talk too. I'm not good at talking and I don't do it a lot but I can and I would with you." Derek said.

"Is this you saying you feel the same?" Stiles asked.

"I think so?" Derek coughed. "I mean, yes."

"Alright." he smiled.

Derek smiled back.

They sat like that, just smiling. Just looking at each other.

"Isn't this where we're supposed to kiss?" Stiles asked, jokingly.

Derek leaned uncomfortably over the center console, grabbing the front of Stiles' shirt and pulling him toward him. He put his other hand on the back of Stiles' head, threading his fingers through the thick hair. Stiles threw his hands around Derek's neck, lacing his fingers together.

Their lips came together, gentle and scared at first. It was closed mouthed, just their lips pushed together, but it was good. It was theirs.

Stiles leaned back. "Are we going to make out in the backseat?"

"I mean, if you want to we could." Derek blushed. Just a little red peaking from under his stubble.

Stiles smiled, opening his door and getting out. He slid into the backseat and smiled into the rearview mirror.

Derek rolled his eyes. "You're such a teenager." he mumbled as he got out of the car.