Chapter 17

Scott kicked at a pebble as the two walked to his house.

"Don't tell me you're surprised." Isaac rolled his eyes. "Aren't you paying attention?" Scott scratched his arm and stared harder at the ground. Isaac giggled. "They've got to fuck."

"Stop it!" Scott growled. Isaac stopped, his eyebrows raised just slightly. Scott stopped a step in front of him. "It's like realizing that you're parents had to fuck to have you." He purses his lip and looked up at Isaac. He was, once again, grinning. "Stop it!" He repeated.

Isaac giggled and did a little shuffle. "You just said that Stiles and Derek are like your parents." He started to walk again, leaving Scott behind him.

Scott clenched his teeth. "Shut up." He grumbled.

***
Stiles sat in the bedroom, staring up at the ceiling and drumming his fingers to the sound of the shower. He sat straight up as the shower stopped. Derek left the bathroom, steam swirling out of the door as he made a b-line for his closet. He stared until Derek glanced back, and then he fell back to the bed.

He listened as the towel dropped. He shut his eyes, as his cheeks burned. "I'm sorry." He mumbled.

"What?" Derek asked, pulling a pair of sweatpants on. He walked to his bed and sat on the edge.

"I'm sorry. About this, and the mate thing, and bringing up your parents, and I'm not sure exactly." He shrugged. "I'm sorry."

Derek ran a hand through his wet hair, his eyebrows coming together in confusion. "I - what?"

"I said-"

"No, I know what you said." Derek ran a hand down his face. "The first thing isn't your fault. Being an Alpha's mate isn't - you can't chose that, neither can I. I'm not -" he stood up, walking back to his dresser. "I'm not complaining. And it's okay, you can talk about my parents." He looked back at Stiles, who stared at the ceiling. "They're dead. I know that, but it's not like they never existed." He pulled a shirt out and pulled it over his head

Stiles was quiet for a moment before he propped himself up on his elbows. "After my mom died, my dad didn't like talking about her. It was like that for a few years." He swallowed and pushed himself to sit all the way up. "It's fine now but it's definitely still sensitive."

Derek didn't reply, just toweled at his hair. Stiles swung his legs over the edge of the bed and jumped off. He motioned for Derek to follow - which he did - and walked into the kitchen.

"Should start dinner now." He mumbled, pulling out a pot and then stepping toward the refrigerator. Derek blocked his path. "The pups will be home soon." Derek looked away, but didn't move. He stayed close, closer than necessary. Stiles wrapped his hands around Derek's waist and rested his head on his firm chest. "What are we going to do?" He whispered, knowing Derek would hear him loud and clear, as the taller man draped his burly arms around his neck.

*
Woah it's me alive and writing hiya