Chapter 9: How It All Began

(Quick note, the beginning is in Jeff's point-of- view. Brace yourselves, this chapter will be a long one. And pretty violent. Enjoy! ;D)

I wasn't ready yet to relive my dark past, but she needed to know. I had to share this with her.

"I wasn't always like this, Grace...."

I used to be normal. Straight-ish brown hair, skinny awkward frame, green eyes. Just your average shy, quiet neighborhood kid. The one adults loved and other kids left alone. I never had a lot of friends, besides my brother, Liu. Maybe it was because we had moved so many times, I didn't really have a chance to make friends. Maybe I was too shy. Whatever reason it was, I kept primarily to myself. Though they didn't talk much to me, the other kids were fairly kind to me. Besides Randy, Troy, and Keith, that is.

They were the neighborhood bullies. Tough ones, at that. They had all of the kids in our school terrified. All of them were twelve years old, a year younger than me at the time. I had never been scared of them, because they left me and my brother alone.

Liu and I were waiting for the bus one day, when they rode up on skateboards and began taunting us. They took Liu's wallet, and I demanded it back.

Of course, they refused. What's more, the lead boy, Randy, pulled a knife on us. As if by instinct, I lashed out. Breaking his wrist, forcing him to drop the knife and scream out in pain. He fell to the ground. I began beating the crap out of him. Punching his stomach to knock the wind from him, and pounding that smug little face til blood came. I got up, as Keith swooped to pick up the knife. But I was faster. Grabbing it, I plunged the knife deep into his side. He fell and began to scream as well. I only got one good punch off Troy before he fled. Liu watched me in fear. After Troy left, me and Liu ran back home.

Shortly after we got home, the police arrived. They knew it was us. But just as they were about to take me away, Liu lied, saying it was all him, I had nothing to do with it. "No, it was me, take me!" I had screamed, but nobody listened. They took my brother away. He was going to spend a year in juvenile detention.

I did not sleep that night. I thought about the scene from earlier. I remember how I had felt. It was a strange feeling. I felt...powerful. On a weird high. I had wanted to hurt them badly. To maim. To kill. I brushed the feeling aside, and tossed in my bed for the rest of the night, feeling guilty for Liu.

A month or so passed. Troy, Randy, and Keith avoided me, kept to themselves. They didn't terrorize anyone. The children whispered about me at school: There's that kid, the one that got ganged up on by Keith's group and won, the one who's brother is locked up. Everywhere I went, I got stares. Some of awe, some of fear, some of admiration. I had their respect. Nobody had ever stood up to Keith's gang before. Well, not without getting pounded to a pulp.

That Friday, my mom burst into my room, demanding I get ready, and dress nice. The neighbors had invited us to their son Billy's birthday party. I groaned; Billy was only nine. I didn't want to go to a little kid's birthday party. I pulled on a pair of khaki pants. Unable to find a dressy shirt, I just pulled on a white hoodie. My mom, of course, nagged me for it, but I just ignored her. She was all overdone in a cocktail dress and makeup. My dad wore a suit.

When we arrived, I just sat in the backyard, watching the various children play. It wasn't long before they pulled me into their game. I hated to admit it, but it was actually kind of fun. For once, I had kids to talk and play with, even if none of then had even hit puberty yet. I ran around, playing hide-and-seek, and dinosaurs, and even got in a cowboy and Indian shootout with them.

But then, it all went to hell.

I heard a yell. Turning around, I saw Keith and his gang jump a fence and come towards me.