Chapter 20

Grace

  Time passes. I don't know how long I've been laying there, sobbing into Nico's cold chest, but it feels like an eternity. Or several. But time always passes slowly for the purposeless, doesn't it?

   I almost miss the noise. A soft whoosh coming from the other room. But I don't miss it. Even in my grief, my heightened senses still work fine. It's the sound of a door being opened.

   I jump up, so fast that I hardly even register the movement. Who's in my house? No human would bother coming here; just being in the vicinity makes most of them uncomfortable. They sense the danger, like a small animal senses the danger of a nearby predator. No, nothing human would dare to break in. Which only leaves one thing.

   Jeff.

   I jump to my feet and swivel around, just as he steps into the bedroom. My heart lurches as I take in his lopsided grin, the loving look he usually gives me marred by the violence in his eyes. Jeff has never given me a look full of such controlled anger. He's so carefully clung to the edge of insanity for a long time.

   And it seems that my rejection has finally pushed him over the edge.

   "Grace. My lovely Grace," he hisses through a grinning mouth. His mouth hardly moves. I can see almost every single one of his teeth. sharpened to lethal points. Like my own, but stronger, deadlier. He could bite off my arm in one clean bite. I shiver visibly, and force myself to grin back at him.

   "Jeff," I say, because it's all I can manage. I hate to admit it, but I'm scared. I have no clue what he's going to do.

   He drops the grin, and looks at me with a blank expression. "I see you have difficulty taking out the trash," he says casually, turning his gaze to Nico's body.

   "He's not trash. He's my friend," I snarl. "And he cared more for me than you ever did."

   Before I can react, I'm being slammed into the wall behind me. Jeff has pinned my arms to my sides, pushing into me so I have no room to struggle. I'm utterly trapped.

   "You are mine," He whispers, his face only inches from mine. For a moment, the anger leaves his eyes, and he almost looks like my Jeff. Then, as if arguing with himself, he shakes his head, and backs away from me.

    "And if you can't accept that, well, I'm afraid you'll have to learn."

   "Oh, so that's what this is? That 'if I can't have you, nobody can' bullshit?" I ask.

   He grins in amusement, but the look doesn't reach his eyes. "If that's how you want to phrase it, then yes."

   Despite my trembling hands, I manage to utter an amused giggle. "Over my dead body."

   He suddenly grows serious, and I stop laughing. His eyes turn black, black as coal, and a growl rumbles deep in his chest. "So be it." he says, and pounces on me.

   Killer instinct takes over, and I don't have control of my body. I growl, baring my teeth at Jeff in a vicious grin, as I manage to throw him off of me, into the opposite wall. He looks shocked, but quickly recovers, glaring at me from where he stands.

   "Now, Grace, you have to play nice," he taunts. Before I even have time to blink, he's on me again. His fingers wrap around my throat.

   I make a weak noise of protest that barely gets past my lips, because Jeff's hands are so effectively cutting off my air supply. I kick and scratch and try to buck him off, but nothing works. My vision starts to grey, and I quit struggling. It's no use. I've lost.

   I feel the hands removed from my throat, and I suck in a deep, deep breath. The oxygen rushes into my lungs painfully, and I cough a few times, grabbing my throat. When I can breathe properly again, I look up. Jeff is still on top of me, grinning darkly.

   "You didn't think I'd let you die like that, now did you?" he asks. I feel my heart drop. He was just playing with me.

   "Jeff....please..." I say in a hoarse voice. I can't fight him, can't reason. All I can do is plead.

   "Jeff, you love me. You can't hurt me like this. Please."

   His expression changes, from hatred into something else, and his eyes lose their blackness. "You're right. I'm so sorry, Grace."

   I'm shocked. Is it really that easy? "You...you are, Jeff?"

   "Yes I am." Then he smiles, and all my hope is gone. That's not a loving smile. It's his insane, bloodthirsty Killer smile. His eyes burn blacker than I've ever seen before.

   "I'm so sorry that you couldn't just love me. You see Grace..."

   He trails off, pulling a gleaming knife from his boot and stabbing me directly in the heart. A white-hot pain bursts violently through me, starting from where he stabbed me, and radiating through my entire body, until I can see nothing but white static across my vision.

   "You're mine," he finishes.

   As the shock wears off and I am able to see again, I look down at the knife protruding from my chest, half believing that it's fake, he couldn't have stabbed me. Already, the pain is fading at an alarming rate. I almost can't feel it anymore...I open my mouth to try and speak, but blood bubbles from my lips, filling my mouth with a copper taste. My chest heaves with the effort of just breathing, and my vision starts to slowly grey again, black pulling at the edges....

  "Shh. Just go to sleep," he croons.

The last thing I see before the blackness take over is Jeff's eyes, glittering darkly with his terrible, mad, Killer obsession.

Jeff

   Knife protruding from her stilled chest, I watch as Grace's eyes go dim. It's over. She's dead. Instead of filling me with satisfaction like all the other kills have, I feel hollow, devoid of feeling. The fiery urge to kill has left, burning away the violence in me.

   What have I done?

   I feel my body give way and crash onto the floor, right next to her. Blood stains her lips, dripping down her cheek, and spreads out from the knife in her chest like a grisly flower. Her obsidian eyes are wide open, but empty of life. She's lily white, paler than she ever was in life.

   Even in death, she's beautiful.

  My face feels hot, and my hand comes away damp when I absently swipe at my cheeks. I'm crying. I notice it in an almost detached way at first. And then, I glance at the knife handle sticking out from her chest again, and it all hits me.

   Grace. My beautiful Killer. The one I hunted with, the one I swore to protect, the one I killed for. All my whispered words, all my promises, for nothing. And now, I live for nothing. Without her, I know I'll have nothing left for me.

   I know what I have to do.

   I grip the knife handle and pull it out of Grace's chest, trying not to wince when it gets stuck on muscle, and scrapes against bone. The knife comes out dripping, leaving a dark hole in her chest.

   Then, I take a deep breath, and plunge the knife deep into my own chest. Right into my heart.

   I don't even feel the pain. I fall back, right next to her, and I hear the knife clattering to the ground from far away. I smile. Not the deranged smile I've worn for so long, but a real one. I'm coming back for you, Grace.

   My smile widens, and then I'm gone.

*************

Please don't hurt me. D:
So...how did you like the ending?
Comment and vote, lovelies.
And please...don't get too angry with me about the ending. I actually had the ending written long before now.
Stay violent, my Killers ;D