Chapter 18

Grace
"Let him go? Are you fucking kidding me?!"
  I had walked into the room, the evidence of crying still on my face, and just begged him to let Nico go. The words had been out of my mouth before I could even think them through. I figured that Jeff would at least listen to me. Maybe I could reason with him. If he loved me, he wouldn't do something to hurt me. But I knew that I had thought wrong when he started yelling at me, grabbing me by the shoulders and shaking me.

  I back away, flustered. "Jeff, please. I know he's done bad things-"

   "Bad things? Bad things?! He tried to hurt you, Grace, and kill me. And you want to LET HIM GO??" He ends on a shout, his hand running through his hair in frustration.

   I reach out and take his free hand. "Yes. I want to let him go. All he's done, he's done because I pushed him to it."

   "Oh, so you're blaming yourself for your almost-rape?" he asks. He's refusing to listen to my reasoning.

   "Yes. I am. I led him on and hurt him, and for what reason? None other than the fact that he loved me, and I only cared about myself."

   He pulls his hand away from mine, and wraps his arms around my waist instead, pulling me into him. Gently, he kisses my forehead in a comforting way. My heart beats a little faster in my chest. Maybe, just maybe, this means he'll let Nico go.

   "Grace, you didn't know. It isn't your fault, and he knew it. He chose to do all of this. And for that," he says, letting me go. He looks me in the eyes, his black eyes hardening like onyx. "I have to kill him."

   "No! You don't...please," I beg.

   "Don't beg me, Grace. He needs to die."

   "And what about what I need?" I ask angrily. "I need him alive."

   He chuckles, but the humor doesn't reach his eyes. "You don't need him alive. Trust me, you may be sad right now, but you'll thank me in the long run."

   "Jeff...no. Please," I beg quietly. Tears begin running down my cheeks again, I can't help it.

   "Save it, Grace. I'm going to kill him, whether you want me to or not."

   With that last determined sentence, my hope flares and dies. I didn't get through to him. He's going to do it anyway, with no regard for my feelings or wants.

   Without warning, he pushes me aside, roughly, and darts into the other room. He slams the door behind him. For a second, I stand there, stunned. But then, realizing that's happening, I throw myself against the door.

   "NO!" I yell, frantically twisting the doorknob. It won't budge. I'm locked in, I realize in horror. Jeff's really going to kill him. And there's no way I can stop him.
   "NO!" I yell again, but even louder. I bang against the door, but my blows have no effect. The door is thick metal; I'm not getting out.

   "JEFF! LET ME OUT!" I scream,  banging on the door again. "Please," I sob. I pound on the door a few more times weakly, and just collapse to the floor, sobbing. It's no use. The only thing I've managed to do is put a few small dents in the door. My helplessness angers me.

   Because of me, Nico is dying right now. Because of me, Nico will be dead in a few short minutes.

   And nothing I do can save him.

   I think back to some of his last words to me, just a few minutes ago as he lay there, chained down like a wild animal, with no chance of defending himself.

   You know it's better this way. Maybe right now you don't, but you will later on.

   No. It isn't better this way. How is sobbing, alone in a dark room, about the fact that your best friend is being murdered in the next room, any better than just letting him go and never seeing him again? Either way, he's gone from my life...did he have to leave his life, too?

   Jeff would have a different answer than I do. Jeff thinks he's doing what's right for me, but really, he's just doing what's most convenient for Jeff. I put too much faith in him, into the fact that he'd care about me enough to let Nico go. I let myself pretend that Jeff still had human compassion. I was wrong. He's been a Killer much, much longer than me. Family and friendship mean nothing to him. I'm starting to wonder if I really mean anything to him. Because our love can't mean anything, if he can blatantly hurt me like this.

   Which leads me to wonder...what would he do if I had been the one to offend or betray him? Would he kill me, the girl he claims to love? I'm not so sure of the answer anymore.

   And while not much freezes my Killer blood, that question certainly does.

Jeff

   "Having fun down there?" I taunt the freak as he lays chained to the floor, like some filthy animal. I spit at him when he doesn't respond. He doesn't even snarl at me. He's just staring at me with a look of weariness. I can hear Grace faintly pounding on the door behind me, but I take no notice of it. When this is over, I'll make her see why it's necessary.

   "Answer me, you pathetic piece of shit!" I snarl. I kick him in the ribs, satisfied when I hear a small crunch and his pained grunt.

   "Yes. I'm having the time of my life," he answers softly. "Can't think of anything I'd rather be doing."

   His sad voice angers me even more than a snarky, sarcastic tone would. I don't want him to lay there and accept his fate. I want him to fight.

   "Aww, c'mon. I don't believe your heart's in it," I tease, pulling the scalpel from earlier out of my boot. I saunter over to him, whistling cheerfully.

   "It's okay, I'm not gonna damage your pretty little face anymore," I say, running my finger down the lovely gash I made earlier. "Since you don't wanna play along, I guess I'll have allllll the fun torturing you."

   He doesn't answer. Doesn't even flinch. He just continues to look at me, with those sad eyes. I can feel my blood begin to boil.

   "ANSWER ME," I snarl, losing my trademark grin. I've lost my patience with him. I don't want to "play" with Nico anymore; I just want him dead. His eyes widen in surprise as I plunge the scalpel deep into his chest.

   Right into his filthy heart.

   He opens his mouth as if to say something, but only makes a few tiny noises. He coughs, and blood comes out of his mouth. His eyes are wide and full of surprise, stating right at me.

   "What do you have to say now, Killer boy?" I grin. He coughs, trying desperately to say something.

   "Well, spit it out!" I say.

   "Grace," he finally manages. I frown.

   Then, his eyes gloss over, his head rolls back, and Nico is no more.

   I allow myself a small smile. He's done. I'll never have to worry about him again. I stand up slowly, and head back to the room where Grace waits for me.

****************

Yes, I know, short chapter. But what did you guys think? Will Grace forgive Jeff...again? Will their relationship survive? Comment, vote, and share, lovelies! ^-^
Oh, and also, message me with your ideas for later chapters and maybe even *le gasp* a sequel! :o I love hearing all of your ideas!