Chapter 11: Becoming the Monster

(Grace's POV)

Excitement- and nervousness- flooded through me. I was going to be like Jeff.

Why would that be something to be proud of? "You'll be a monster," my mind scolded me. "A stone-cold killer. You'll be a hideous, soulless demon." I pushed the thought away. So, what? I had nothing else to look forward to. Except being with Jeff. He brought out strong feelings in me. Strong enough that I wanted this, despite the fact that he killed my mother and my best friend. Even if that meant risking my soul and taking innocent lives.

I loved him.

My stomach fluttered at the word. Love. I couldn't wrap my head around it. It was so irrational, because I never fell for anyone that quickly. Or at all. It wasn't a word I took lightly. That's why I'd never gotten close enough to someone to date them. I didn't have many friends. I wasn't very social. I preferred to keep to myself. But not with him. I wanted him around, for good.

Which is why I had to do this.

"What about the pain?" the voice in my head said harshly. My heart skipped a beat, thinking about this. "You don't even know if you'll survive THAT."

No, I would. I could bear the pain. I was tough, and it was only for a little bit. He wouldn't let me die.

I spoke to Jeff before my brain could make me change my mind.

"So, um," I started nervously, swinging my bare feet across the floor. They made a light swishing noise against the carpet. "How do we do this?" I was honestly curious.

He grinned quietly at my tone, but quickly grew somber. "I don't know...but I think we have to do to you, what happened to me." He winced. He didn't like the thought.

I drew in a shaky breath. "What, like, light me on fire?" I asked. I was surprised by how calm I sounded, because I was anything BUT calm. My heart was pounding, I was sweating, and my mind was screaming at me. Jeff said nothing, but simply nodded.

Before I could lose my nerve, I said, "Well, we better do it, then." I slid off the bed, towards the door. I looked back at him expectantly, waiting for him to lead the way.

*************

(Jeff's POV)

My whole being was telling me not to do this. I mean, how stupid could I be? There was no guarantee this would work. I don't even know how I turned; what if I killed her? What if that wasn't what made me turn? My stomach twisted painfully at the thought. I couldn't lose Grace.

But without trying, I couldn't keep her, either. I had to try.

She was standing at the door, patiently waiting for me. Taking her hand- God, she was so delicate- I led her back into the room where she had first woken up.

"You have to lay back down on the table," I told her. "We need to restrain you, so you don't hurt yourself." I realized how ridiculous my words sounded. She couldn't hurt herself anymore than I was about to hurt her.

Grace laid down carefully on the table, and I bound her arms and legs down with the metal cuffs. She was trying to pretend she was calm, but I could see how terrified she was. Her hair fanned out under her head like a halo. Her pulse was beating fast in her little neck, and her brown eyes darted around the room. Her breathing came out in shallow little gasps. She looked like a frightened bird. For a second, I almost changed my mind. But then, I thought about her being like me, and strengthened my resolve.

I leaned over to kiss her cheek. "Be back in a sec," I whispered. Quickly, I half-jogged into the other room, to pull a bottle of vodka from the mini-fridge, and a lighter from the nightstand.