CHAPTER 38:DISAPPOINTMENT

Previously in FPR..

I was enthusiastically exiting the room, desperately waiting to see Aayat when my arm hit the bookshelf and few books fell down.

I ignored it and continued walking.

I paused at the door. I realised I caught a glimpse of something, hidden behind the books.
....

I steadily went near it and pulled a book out. I could only see a piece of cloth, black cloth. I hurriedly pulled out a few other books.

I was stuck in my shoes, shocked to see what was in my hold.

Books conceal secrets which have to be read to be known. And these concealed too. They hid answers to my concern towards Aayat.

Held in my arms was a black night gown and a tape recorder which played a baby's cry.

My wife was not out of her mind. She had experienced every single thing she described.

Guilt and rage ran in my veins.

Why would anyone envy Aayat? She never thought bad of anybody. Who could it be?

Why would anyone want to put an unborn in danger?

Heartless. Heartless is all I could call the person. I have to find out. Things have to be revealed before anyone gets hurt, before Aayat gets hurt. I have to do something about it.

I sat an hour more in the study, trying to figure things out.

It was crystal clear that this is all done by an insider. It couldn't be mom and couldn't be Rafa. I was only suspicious about one.

"Waniya." I uttered with flames burning red in my eyes.

I stormed out of the room. Rage and anger made my body hot as though I have been on the stove. I walked furiously.

I thought she changed.

Ya Allah. I had been wrong.

I should not have trusted her. I should never have. So naive of me.

I connected all loose chains and everything made sense. Aayat isn't mad but Waniya certainly is.

She plotted everything. I believed her. I am mad, no one else is. Mad for thinking she was in despair, mad for letting her stay, mad for considering her words.

Huh.

She was never in trauma. She had come here for a reason. She had always been a greedy women. When Rashid asked her for divorce, he came to me. It was all planned. She thought she could kill our baby and make Aayat mad, send her to some asylum, take her place and give her baby my name.

All the pictures took rounds around my head.

Has it always been this clear?

I've failed again. Failed to be a good husband.

You've not Izaan. You've still not.
My conscience tried to console me.

But I knew I have failed. I should have been careful. I've failed because she's ill because of me. I've failed because I've caused her pain. I've failed because I'm disappointed with myself.

You still have time Izaan. This is the last week of her pregnancy. Make it memorable, unforgettable.
My conscience attempted to convince me and yeah, I agreed.

I stopped the movement of my legs just a few steps away from her room and thought, I'm not going to fall in any other of your traps Waaniya. You see what you'll have face now.