Is Elbow Kissing First Base?

"Run!" I told Natalie, putting my arms out to block her. Maybe the thing in front of me wouldn't see her...yeah, it was a long shot.

Instead, she put her hand on the middle of my back. "We can take him."

I didn't want to argue with her. I quickly pulled my shoe laces out so they formed into my sword and pushed forward.

I didn't know what the thing in front of me was. It had the head of a bald man, the body of a lion, and a creepy black tail that stood stick straight.

The thing didn't move, even as I got closer. It only had a creepy smile on its pale face.

That made me stop.

Did it want me close?

Natalie started, "What's ha-"

As soon as I took a step back, the monster pushed me, causing me to crash into Natalie. I landed on top of her with a hard thud.

Above me, the black tail hovered.

Something about seeing it reminded me of a monster I had learned about.

Manicure? Peticure?

Manticore!

This thing shot deathly needles at its enemies.

"Natalie, Natalie. Stay down."

She stopped her mumbling at that to answer, "Get off, Jake."

It would have been ideal to have been wearing a bulletproof vest or something, but that wasn't the case and I couldn't think of a way to protect myself as well as Natalie.

Yeah, me flopped down on top of her was weird, but that was the least of my worries.

In efforts to distract the manticore, I stabbed at him. It caused a slash, but the tail still held its stance like a scorpion.

"Jake, get off. I can help."

I wanted to tell her to shut up and just listen, but what was I supposed to do? Die laying on top of her?

"Alright, run. Watch your head."

I slumped myself off the girl, attempting to slash my sword at the same time. All it did was distract the monster from chasing Natalie, but I mean, that was good enough.

"I'm calling the cops!" she yelled.

"No, you're not!" I told her, side-stepping the manticore.

She stopped halfway down the steps. "Why not?"

"It'll attract more monsters!"

The monster readied his tail and I knew for sure that that thing was going to explode.

"That makes no sense!" she yelled as I grabbed painting from the wall to sheild myself.

Sure enough, six lethal spikes pierced the flower-painted canvas just before hitting my face.

"Jake! Come downstairs!"

I don't know what it was that came over me, but I suddenly had the guts to jump down and over all the stairs to land on the first floor.

Halfway in the air, I kind of hoped the monster would follow me, so I'd have something to land on.

That wasn't the case. I full on slammed into the wall, just above Natalie.

Thankfully, the manticore had a little more momentum and never ended up on top of us.

"Let's go, let's go," I muttered, struggling to get up. Natalie grabbed my shirt in attempts to stand me up.