Awkward.

The sun was gettig hotter. I had to hold onto the hem of my t-shirt while I pulled my sweater off.

"Seriously, Jake, I feel like I should get you a present or something."

I was going to roll my eyes and tell her she was being dumb, that I didn't need anything, but I knew she was too stubborn to listen to anything I'd say. So, I told her, "Hot-pants."

"Hot-pants?"

"Sure, get me hot-pants."

At that moment the amused look in Natalie's eyes told me I had slipped up. She knew what I wanted, she knew I wanted to be with her. She could see that I enjoyed the danger it cost to spend time with her. She muttered, "Hot-pants."

"I, um..." Natalie was sitting closer to me now. I couldn't tell if it was me leaning in or her, but I didn't want it to stop. Her eyes fluttered around my face until eventually, they were almost shut.

It was a good thing they weren't, though, because her old friends' Frisbee came flying towards us and she was just quick enough to catch it before it could hit me in the face. I sighed a breath I hadn't known I was holding and Natalie gave an awkward laugh before throwing the Frisbee back to the group of teenagers.

"Hey, guys," she called to them.

A few of them waved before turning back to their game.

Natalie's eyes landed on me and she put up a small smile. "Maybe we should get back."

I was reluctant to agree.

------------------------------

Natalie and I were right in believing that as the whole Luke thing calmed down, we'd see less of each other.

It started off as visiting every few days, then once every week, every other week, until finally, I wasn't permitted to leave camp at all.

I tried telling myself to relax, Natalie was just a cute girl I had a petty crush on who didn't need my protection anymore, but that didn't stop me from thinking about her every day.